Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limbsaver for JM Pro?

NorCal707

Planning on calling them Monday, as I had this in mind as well. They mention 930 synthetics on the web site, model 10201 I believe. I cut out the template but have not compared it to the factory pad. Concern over screw holes spacing being same as stock.

They have a newer style, which incorporates what looks like air pockets, # 10809 I think. Not sure if that is better in actual uset than the traditional version.

The hole spacing for the screws for the stock JM Pro recoil pad are 3-3/4 inches apart, at least for mine. By going on the Limbsaver website, I found the hole spacing for the Limbsaver 10200/10201 pad is not the same. I called them up and suggested/requested they should add a model specifically for the JM Pro and they said they would consider doing so.

They did say their 10200/10201 pad is the same overall length (5-3/16 inches) as the measurement I took on my JMP. They thought it might be modded to work by drilling a new hole in the plastic baseplate using the JMP stock as a guide then making a corresponding new hole in the Limbsaver pad for the screw. I think I will buy one and see if I can mod it as it will probably take Limbsaver quite a while to add a JM Pro pad to their lineup, if they even choose to do so.

FYI - the #10809 pad you mentioned is their new AirTech model line. The person I spoke to said it offers additional recoil absorption of around 10-15% compared to the original Limbsaver pad. I asked him if he thought it could also be adapted/modded to fit the JM Pro and he didn't see why it couldn't.

I installed a Limbsaver 10201 pad without any modifications. It is ever so slightly offset as you can see, but not enough to be a concern for me and I haven't felt the need to try and correct.

mDWP4WG.jpg

Edited by HeyChris

Is the limbsaver much of an improvement over the original pad? From what I hear the 930 isn't bad on recoil to bring with, and the original pad is pretty soft.

^^^THIS, The JM930 is a soft shooting gun

It's an improvement, but not a HUGE improvement. Yes, the original pad is pretty soft, the Limbsaver is just more soft (I just felt the two again), which helps after a long day of shooting shotgun. But its been so long since I've shot the 930 with the original pad on that I can't provide more information in regards to the difference in recoil. I'd buy it again for sure, I have Limbsavers on other firearms as well, their product is top notch.

It's an improvement, but not a HUGE improvement. Yes, the original pad is pretty soft, the Limbsaver is just more soft (I just felt the two again), which helps after a long day of shooting shotgun. But its been so long since I've shot the 930 with the original pad on that I can't provide more information in regards to the difference in recoil. I'd buy it again for sure, I have Limbsavers on other firearms as well, their product is top notch.

I now have a Stoeger M3000 and it was needed for sure, the JM 930 it never even crossed my mind to install one. To each his own.. take care man

I installed a Limbsaver 10201 pad without any modifications. It is ever so slightly offset as you can see, but not enough to be a concern for me and I haven't felt the need to try and correct.

mDWP4WG.jpg

Is this on a JM Pro? The template illustration on the Limbsaver sight shows the screw placement on the 10200/10201 pad not appearing to match the 3-3/4" placement on my JMP?

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/pdfs/templates/10200_10201.pdf

'

Is the limbsaver much of an improvement over the original pad? From what I hear the 930 isn't bad on recoil to bring with, and the original pad is pretty soft.

For shooting lots of Hi-Base slug/buckshot rounds or for recoil-sensitive shooters, I'd say they make a noticeable improvement.

mDWP4WG.jpg

Is this on a JM Pro? The template illustration on the Limbsaver sight shows the screw placement on the 10200/10201 pad not appearing to match the 3-3/4" placement on my JMP?

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/pdfs/templates/10200_10201.pdf

'

Yes, it is on a JM Pro.

Out of curiosity, I pulled the pad off and there is an adapter plate I had forgotten about. So you install the plate, then install the pad on top. See the image below:

A9gipFw.jpg

Limbsaver part 10201 as you can see in the picture. I had picked it up from Cheaper than dirt: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/39377

I've cut an inch off both my 930s and found a limb saver to fit, have to fill stock with a little jbweld so the screws have something to bite. Now I have 13" lop with a great soft shooting 930. Love it, I can feel the difference and I've shot both side by side one with limbsaver one without. I can shot 250 rnds and no bruise or soreness whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Summary of what I had to do to get a 13"lop and limbsaver for my 930s

1. Disassemble stock assembly

2. Cut amount you want off stock, 1in is max. I did 1in because that's what fits me best.

3. Cut recoil rod nut in half, you will see why.

4. Cut recoil spring rod assembly, be sure to keep enough threads for nut to bite properly

5. Purchase limbsaver, model I believe shown in pic below. Keep in mind this will vary due to why much you cut stock, more you cut smaller the limbsaver.

6. Drill hold in limbsaver where rod extends out, you'll understand when you look at rod.

7. Mix jbweld and fill top and bottom of plastic stock for screws to bite. Pics below

8. Assemble stock and per drill hole for limbsaver.

9. Enjoy shorter lop and a super soft shooting 930.

Remember, go slow and don't cut too much off first. You can always cut more, you can't add... Unless you purchase spacers and then you can have an adjustable lop.

Pics coming next post.

• 1 month later...

So, bought the Limbsaver #10201 that HeyChris referenced and just like he said, it fits the JM Pro factory synthetic stock just fine. Went out and shot about 200 clays with Federal 2-3/4 Walmart Specials and there was a very noticeable reduction in felt recoil. Haven't shot any Hi-Base slug or buckshot rounds but know I'll be happy. Very worthwhile, simple mod to increase one's shooting enjoyment!

Ordered the Airtech version,# 10809, as tech support at Sims said its more effective. Will get here next week. Hope it doesn't make LOP too long, as its 1" thick, probably thicker than the OEM pad. May have to cut down stock, which will lead to pad overhanging butt...

For everyone who views this thread and thinks recoil pads are because we can't handle the recoil.... Don't we all put softer recoil springs in pistols to help manage recoil for faster follow up shots? Easier shooting? Works the same with a recoil pad, faster shots, easier shooting.

For everyone who views this thread and thinks recoil pads are because we can't handle the recoil.... Don't we all put softer recoil springs in pistols to help manage recoil for faster follow up shots? Easier shooting? Works the same with a recoil pad, faster shots, easier shooting.

Never thunk of it that way - I thought we were doing it because we were Pussies :blush:

Yup, not only Pussies, but would rather rely on technology/gimmicks than actually practice good technique to get faster!

Just kidding. Will try B Payne's technique of rolling shoulder forward and butt stock closer to center of chest next time i shoot outdoors.

Main reason for LimbSaver pad for me is to get wife and daughter to shoot the JM. Son is OK with current setup, girls not so much.

Edited by mpom