Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kick'n it old school - SOF relived

A big part of the game (for me anyway) is stage analysis and determining the most efficient way to shoot. Reality is that "blind stages" are only truly "blind" for the first squad - people talk and MD intent goes out the window with blind stages.

This. A real blind stage would be pretty cool (wouldn't want a whole match of them)... but there really isn't an effective way to make it "blind" for everyone. They tried it at FB3G. By about halfway through the first day, it was pretty obvious that a lot of shooters knew exactly where the targets were.

And Sterling, your match needs more revolver and pump gun! :devil:

Edited by dcloudy777

Per KM in another thread -

The old S.O.F. rule for:

1) Shotgun was 22" barrel max and tube could be no more than 1" past end of barrel. ( this allowed for a 9 round tube)

2) Iron sight rifles they had to weigh no more than 9.5 pounds WITH SLING! for minor, and 10.5 for major, there were no magazine restrictions.

3) pistol, had to be a 5" or shorter barrel. had to make 180 power factor to be considered major and 140mm mags were ok.

Per Stlhead in another thread specific to the limited division -

no chg to pistol

Shotgun max capacity of 8 + 1
Long tubes are fine as long as they are plugged

Rifle mag restriction to 30
Coupled mags, cinched mags, star mags, are fine as long as only 30 before the assembly must be removed, manipulated, and reinserted.

So Russell a question for you :

Which 8 stages were the best from all the Iron Man matches you'v shot over the years ?

What was the one where your in an APC ???

You have youtube gun God status.

( i still have the CAV ARMS shirts from you - lol )

Edited by gunfighteruk

Per KM in another thread -

The old S.O.F. rule for:

1) Shotgun was 22" barrel max and tube could be no more than 1" past end of barrel. ( this allowed for a 9 round tube)

2) Iron sight rifles they had to weigh no more than 9.5 pounds WITH SLING! for minor, and 10.5 for major, there were no magazine restrictions.

3) pistol, had to be a 5" or shorter barrel. had to make 180 power factor to be considered major and 140mm mags were ok.

Per Stlhead in another thread specific to the limited division -

no chg to pistol

Shotgun max capacity of 8 + 1

Long tubes are fine as long as they are plugged

Rifle mag restriction to 30

Coupled mags, cinched mags, star mags, are fine as long as only 30 before the assembly must be removed, manipulated, and reinserted.

SoF rules would have my only choice to be shoot in Trooper class, barrels on shotgun and pistol are too long. So say hello to breaking the giant backpack out of storage.

Funny for 3 years I shot a certain "big" match that has one blind stage. The stage is usually won by a RO by a significant time, or what ever they call them in that game... Gets really tiring to see that when they're gun's on the Prize Table when the match is ran for Overall Time+. This year I didn't attend because really I just got tired of it.

Edited by DocMedic

Limited/TacOps with 30 round rifle and 8+1 max in the shotgun? Limited/Mod TacOps has Irons only limited guns and 1x sights/Scopes shooting in Mod TacOps?

Limited would be as it's defined today (irons or 1x on rifle only)

TacOps Mod would allow 1x dots on all three limited guns. Rifle would have an optic with either a set of irons or dot that is offset.

Edited by Sterling White

The reason for pulling from other threads is to give the reader a taste of what SOF requirements were in play at that time around circa 2000/2001.

From a thread that eric m had posted in regarding the rifle:

4.1 No optical sight is allowed on any pistol or shotgun. Any SOF legal rifle may be equipped with optics designated as SOF battle worthy but will be scored separately from metal sighted rifles.
4.21 The following optics are designated as SOF battle worthy: Steyr AUG optic, Colt 3X or 4X optic or copy, Elcan optic, Trijicon ACOG 3.5X or 4X optic, Trijicon Reflex sight and U.S. Optics SN-4 & SN-5 scopes.
4.22 The Aimpoint M/XD may be used in the scope class, if mounted in a manner that allows the use of existing iron sights if the Aimpoint sight is not turned on or is not functional, and without removing it from the weapon. Any "red dot" sight similar in function and design, by any manufacturer, with generally the same characteristics, may be used if mounted in the same manner.

4.6 RIFLES will be military service rifles or the nearest available civilian equivalent.
4.61 Rifles will be equipped with a sling or carry strap.
4.62 Major caliber rifles may weigh no more than 11 pounds without scope or 12.5 pounds with scope.
4.63 Minor caliber rifles may weigh no more than 9.0 lb. without scope or 10.5 lb. with scope.
4.64 Rifles will be weighed empty, without mag, but otherwise complete with sling and any other attached accessories.
4.65 A bipod may be used providing the rifle makes weight with the bipod attached and the bipod extends no more than 14 inches.
4.66 Iron Sighted Rifles must be equipped with battle sights (i.e. no Redfield target sights). Enhancement of existing battle sights (i.e. National match sights) is permitted.

Edited by Sterling White

So Russell a question for you :

Which 8 stages were the best from all the Iron Man matches you'v shot over the years ?

What was the one where your in an APC ???

You have youtube gun God status.

( i still have the CAV ARMS shirts from you - lol )

Thanks for the kind words. I need more subscribers for youtube gun god status though, probably need more explosions or scantily clad ladies ;-). I'll answer your question in the other thread.

A big part of the game (for me anyway) is stage analysis and determining the most efficient way to shoot. Reality is that "blind stages" are only truly "blind" for the first squad - people talk and MD intent goes out the window with blind stages.

RO's could tell if the head wasn't hesitating, searching, and the shooter pecking. Stage DQ for unsportsman like conduct for those who zipped through a stage I say.

Granted, in the old days part of the stage was visible so the shooters could see part but not all (according to KM). Imagine shooting in natural terrain with trees and shrubs. Once the shooter goes around the corner or into a gulley then everything becomes a song of gunfire.

Edited by Sterling White

RO's could tell if the head wasn't hesitating, searching, and the shooter pecking. Stage DQ for unsportsman like conduct for those who zipped through a stage I say.

Really hard (subjective) call for an RO to make, but I agree with your sentiment. I've shot several matches with blind stages and I've yet to see a single match where the shooters in later squads didn't know what to expect - if they really wanted to know.

The stages weren't "blind"....there just weren't any "walk trough's" allowed. You could watch them as much as was visible, but there was none of the ballet that goes on in a walk through. Just think of the time savings. Stage briefs were handed out at the shooters meeting, then you just showed up with your gear ready at the appointed time and you shot. There was no such thing as a "stage D.Q." and there was no "gaming it" by just running by targets. The R.O.s wouldn't let you "run by" anything and would call you back and say shoot this before you move on! If you didn't....... Bye Bye!

I really enjoyed this type of shooting. You had to find the targets and engage them, none were hidden, but you might not be able to see them all from the start position while you were watching. you couldn't really plan any reloads so you just kept them hot best you could ( all you knew were the total number of targets for each gun for each stage.) you had to formulate a plan and execute it as you went. It really showed up the difference of a great field shooter, and a great shooter who relies on "the walk through". Many big name shooters never did so well at S.O.F. because they couldn't formulate plans quickly enough. That is why even today, I watch guys do multiple walk trough's in agonizing detail over and over again and it wears me out just watching them do it :)