Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC Mount install

Gooldylocks

Hello everyone. So I have searched and read and searched some more.

I am wondering about installing the SJC mount. I have read the instructions on the SJC site, read impressions here, and checked glocktalk, but am still not sure what to do.

What does everyone think as far as installing the mount? I have a dremel, and a drill press, and consider myself decently crafty enough to get by most of the time. Is it worth having SJC do, and if so how much does it cost by the time its all said and done (shipping, install, additional charges, etc)? Is it easy, just a little scary? What about a local smith?

Anyone who has installed one, please post any pictures you may have of the process and if you have video that would be amazing as well.

Thank you in advance!

I did it myself and if you fell pretty confident it's pretty simple. Just make you go slow and drill the holes in the right spot.

I wouldn't take it to a local guy unless he did it before. I tired that before I did it myself and I spent more time explaining what it was for and why I wanted it done than I expected.

I'll see if I can find any pictures tomorrow, but really the only hard part is clearing a spot for the bushing to fit into. They have to sit flush in the frame so there is a spot for the guide rod to sit

Yeah, the lack of clear instructions is a bit of a pain....

The part that is left out is how the bushings install. I do mine with the bushings sitting upright in the frame with the flat side down and the rounded side straight up. Using a Dremel and a carbide burr, you can relieve the frame so that it will conform to the bushing and the exterior will sit flush with the frame.

I have yet to find a video online that shows the process and I can't take pictures because the one that I have on-hand is already installed.

I'm with goldylocks. It seems like an easy 300$ mistake. But I'm sold on the idea for now. I was going to wait for carvers at the end of the month (according to fb) and mod my CR holster but now I'm leaning for the sjc just to be able to use a larger number of holsters.

Edited by Open1215

you can do it.. dremeling out the bushing holes was the scary part for me! when I set the bushings, I headed them up and squeezed them in. It runs great ... It was very rewarding to Build my own Race Gun

post-51591-0-58005400-1412125831_thumb.j

Wow thank you to everyone that has commented, tons of responses!

when you talk about using the mill, you are putting the frame in the vise vertically so you can mill out the other side? I am slightly confused there.

What kind of dremel bit have you guys used, since that is probably what I will end up using?

Frame is vertical(same way you hold it to fire). Mill is used to remove material from the channel so you can put the inserts in and have clearance for your guide rod. Install the mount using trigger pin holes, drill holes for forward mounting location, remove mount, mill guide rod channel, reassemble.

Sorry goldylocks I wasn't trying to steal ur form. I asked the same question on the glock page. Lol captain gave me some info then pointed me over here.

Haha you didn't steal it, we are both wondering the same thing! The more brains we can get working on it, the better it will be.

I did all my own work, gun runs great and competitive.

Won A class at the area 7 championship this year and

Finished 15th in A class at Nationals out of 48 (hardly any glocks in open)

I'm wanting to switch to a 38 super steel gun, so I will probably sell mine to finance the new gun.