Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major open

ss+P

I have a 2011 frame sitting around and thinking of building and open gun on it.

I like the look of a shorty (4.25) slide.

Have only shot a 5" open gun. Please give me your opinions on a long vs short open gun.

I prefer the softest felt recoil in the hand. I am sure you can get either to shoot flat.

Full size without bbl holes is the way to go for soft.

I have two open pistols, one with bbl holes and one without. The one with shoots flatter but just by a hair. The one without shoots smoother and is also a lot quieter.

The caliber isn't as big an influence as the length and weight of the gun, shorter and lighter is faster, but more violent.

5 inch gun with 3 smallish holes in the barrel is what I settled on. Nice and flat. First rounds out of the gun I thought I had accidentally grabbed some of my minor loads.

Shorty 9mm is violent but also much more finicky on powder bullet combo. I have a Cheely full size open gun in 9MAJOR that is a dream to shoot. I even turn it up a bit and run 115's through it and it is a nice shooter.

I had this discussion with lcs. The short gun feels nice when dry firing, but the long gun feels better when actually shooting. LOL. I sold both my shortys and kept my long gun. You can do amazing things with lightening the slide to give you the weight of the shorty and the smoothness of the long gun. I shoot 9 Major. No brass scrounging knee pads for me. HS6, Silhouette, and CFE Pistol work great.