Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm barrel in TS 40

mdschappell

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. I have to measure, but the design is similar to the 1911. Seems this bullet impact difference is quite common there when swapping one 1911 barrel for another. My original thinking was POI should be reasonably the same. The only difference in dimensions is the inner diameter of the barrel (bore). Factory sights are the same from 9mm to 40 TS looking at the parts, so it has to be the fitting I did.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My thoughts on the design differences:

- 9 vs 40 barrels have the same OD

- 9mm barrel has more material and is slightly heavier

- they took some material from the 9mm slide recoil spring tunnel to balance to the same weight for both models

- recoil sleeve cycles quieter in dry fire racking (neat feature if you have a 9 slide)

- no functional reason to have it (not needed of you're putting a 9 barrel on a 40 slide...pretty sure it won't even fit in the smaller diameter tunnel of the 40 slide)

Edited by IronicTwitch

Heavier bullets typically impact higher than lighter bullets at the same power factor. The heavier bullet is travelling slower, so spends more time in the barrel which may be rising ever so slightly. That may be what you're seeing.

This is amazing...so I can pick up a 9mm tube and some mags, Fit the barrel, And then swap back and forth at will? This makes me happy! Off to the interwebs to find a barrel and some mags.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ordered my TS 9mm barrel, mags, & adj-rear sight last night. :D

Got them (9mm barrel & new adj rear sight) installed today, took my time and have a nice snug lockup. Try to get some rounds thorough it on Sunday.

Curious, is your barrel all black coated instead of plain? I got a spare barrel from CZ USA and it is black with the serial number on the left instead of right.

Curious, is your barrel all black coated instead of plain? I got a spare barrel from CZ USA and it is black with the serial number on the left instead of right.

Yep. Mine came black coated with SN on the opposite side of the ejection port. Curious to hear back from you on how the POI shifts from one barrel to another. Mine shoots really high w/ the new barrel and right on with the stock .40 barrel. Makes me think I may have to try to get it to seat a little deeper while locked up. Please let me know.

THAT is the answer I was hoping to get from someone. At 25 yds, my POI shifts about 6-8" high with 9mm when swapping from the .40 barrel. I'm thinking I have to do a little more fitting. It does seem to lock up well and it never failed to function, but I think I may not have gone far enough.

So you were basically able to go from one barrel to the other without touching your sights? Are you using the factory, fixed ones? When you fit the barrel, did you only have to file the breech face, or did you also have to monkey with the top barrel lugs?

Thanks for chiming in. This info is most helpful.

Factory rear sight. Never touched it just swapped calibers back and forth. I bought the gun with the 9 barrel already fit so I can't speak about that process. Looking at it though the lugs weren't touched and the breech face had been filed.

Ordered my TS 9mm barrel, mags, & adj-rear sight last night. :D

Got them (9mm barrel & new adj rear sight) installed today, took my time and have a nice snug lockup. Try to get some rounds thorough it on Sunday.

The one I ordered from CZ Custom was black with S/N on the left side.

The 9mm barrel was not a bad DIY to install and I was was quite impressed with accuracy and function.

• 5 weeks later...

has anyone tried 9mm in the .40 magazine? I've heard on some guns it works fine.

With regular CZ 75 mags the dimensions are the same between 9 and 40, but not the TS, I've shot 9mm out of a 40 TS mag and it works OK until the last round which flips up and jams.

I have a question I have a Tactical Sport in 9mm that I picked up used for a good price for 3 gun. I am thinking of shooting IPSC Standard division is it possible to do the conversion the other way with the Tactical sport ie put a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide or is the breech face different between the 9mm and .40 TS slide.

Thanks Blake

I have a question I have a Tactical Sport in 9mm that I picked up used for a good price for 3 gun. I am thinking of shooting IPSC Standard division is it possible to do the conversion the other way with the Tactical sport ie put a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide or is the breech face different between the 9mm and .40 TS slide.

Thanks Blake

In a word, no. The breechface in the 9mm is too small for the larger .40 case. Going from .40 to 9 the fit is loose but usually functional.