Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot timer?

Highwayman

I am an absolute novice with pistols, getting my feet wet and struggled the other night at my third IDPA night. I'm gradually getting more adherent to dry fire using the drills from Steve Anderson's book using my SIRT laser pistol, but I keep getting hung up on having to use the 'shot timer' app on my iphone. What would be an affordable first shot timer with an easy interface that I could hopefully use someday on a live range?

Edited by Highwayman

There are several available and most are priced right around $150 or so. To name a few; CED, Pact, Competition Electronics and they would display beep to last shot, splits, par time, delayed start etc... A great tool for training and the same as what is used at matches.

I've been competing for 4 months and went from placing close to the bottom, now I'm mid pack, placing 5th and 6th in a stage or two!

Focus on fundamentals - grip, presentation, sight picture, etc! Once you have those figured out. Then concern yourself with speed!

I've been competing for 4 months and went from placing close to the bottom, now I'm mid pack, placing 5th and 6th in a stage or two!

Focus on fundamentals - grip, presentation, sight picture, etc! Once you have those figured out. Then concern yourself with speed!

This is so true, too many of us focus way too much on time rather than technique. I would get your fundamentals down first, don't look for speed, it will find you. Better to be smooth, like water flowing.

I've been using a Pact for practice for the last 5 years, and recently the display starting acting up so I bought a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II. The Pocket Pro is in my opinion is more user friendly in that's easier and faster to set the par time, delay time, etc. There are also more options on the volume of the beep, sound sensitivity, etc. It's possible there is a newer version of the Pact with the same features as the Pocket Pro, I don't know.

I prefer the display on the Pact. It's bigger, the numbers are bigger, and easier for me to read at a quick glance. I usually clip it on to my left, weak side, pocket, and it's easier for me to look down and see the display.

It's funny how the display cleared up on my Pact as soon as my Pocket Pro arrived. It may have had moisture in it, I don't know.

The Pocket Pro is by far the most popular, and most clubs, and major matches use them.

Edit to add: I bought the Pocket Pro on eBay for about $100.00, including shipping.

Edited by grapemeister

I love my CED 7000. Small, light weight with many features. It has an internal battery that lasts a long time per charge. It charges in less than 2 hours. I use it with the hinged belt clip. Just flip it up to look at it. It has a spy mode which allows me to double check my runs in a match, read splits, etc.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the Shotmaxx watch..I posted ealier about fundamentals - presentation,mag changes,etc. I am now attempting to time my draw to shot, concealed draw (IDPA), draw for USPSA, Target transitions!

After 5 months of competing and training. I'm seeing improvements. the guys who have way he'd me from the start are seeing my performance improve. It's time for a shot timer! Should be here Friday!