Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free the feet!

Steve Koski

I actually agree with this Rule from a 'concept' standpoint. In Vietnam I NEVER wanted to advance into the 'unknown' while trying to juggle magazines, or loose shotgun shells, and reload. I wanted to be ready to shoot when I moved... because in the "unknown" ya can get surprised! (E&E was a totally different deal... ya did what ya had to as fast as you could... but that's not IDPA).

The problem with this Rule is the same as with many other IDPA Rules -- poorly worded Rules that allow (and even encourage) subjective calls that, at times, border on arbitrary & capricious SO calls. To assume that every IDPA shooter knows precisely what a "basketball pivot" is... is ludicrous. Whomever came up with that analogy should be tarred&feathered... and made to shoot NRA Bullseye for the rest of their life. :angry2:

The Flat Foot Reload? They've explained it several times. It's what the founders intended, you should not be advancing into the unknown while reloading.

Except that's not the rule as implemented. If you are still behind your cover, you are not advancing into the unknown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I have never seen such a collection of differing opinions as with shooters. Hell I though bass fisherman were argumentative. They're down right cooperative versus this bunch. Now that said:

If you stand still to reload you might get shot. On the other side, if you run into the unknown with an empty gun you might get shot unless you run in the right direction and are faster than a speeding bullet. Fact is there is no perfect solution when someone is shooting at you. If they win, you did something wrong.

So IDPA has to have some rules of the game. Other sports have rules and many of them are subjective calls....simple as balls and strikes. Y'all are arguing over something where the right call in a real world situation is definitely unknown. IDPA offers the chance to practice gun handling skills with guns that are in many cases able to be used for self defense. No where that I see is it claiming to offer the perfect answer to a real gun fight. The perfect answer is the one where you do not get shot and that varies from case to case. IDPA at least gets you some practice drawing, aiming, reloading, and shooting fast with some level of accuracy (that you will never match if the targets are shooting back). Just the crap in your pants will distract from your peformance.

I don't understand why these continuous and answerless disputes exist and I wish they didn't. Just play by the rules, try to change them with some maturity when necessary, and shut the hell up about it.

I guess I have never seen such a collection of differing opinions as with shooters. Hell I though bass fisherman were argumentative. They're down right cooperative versus this bunch. Now that said:

I don't understand why these continuous and answerless disputes exist and I wish they didn't. Just play by the rules, try to change them with some maturity when necessary, and shut the hell up about it.

Let me guess, you do not even shoot IDPA and you probably do not shoot it because of the dumb fishing vest, the dumb rules, and etc. The same reasons I hear all the time from other semi-pros. This is why we get so argumentative when a rule comes in that changes the game even more. We know that it will make even more people not want to shoot IDPA. This rule actually made IDPA shooters not even want to shoot IDPA anymore... The number of competitors at nationals dropped drastically and the number of memberships sold slowed down as well.

We took it to the board to get the rule book reviewed. With many votes from the IDPA members, the board reviewed the rule book and extracted the rule. So I guess you can say that we did change them with SOME MATURITY and NOW we will shut the hell up.