Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

built my first compition rifle, now i just dont know

sbrkam

back story: did my first tactical rifle comp last year with my sbr, eotech, can (yes it was a bit front heavy). after doing it i relized i needed magification for the long shots. so i started putting together the 18" rifle.

my dilima now is i kinda want to use my sbr with the razor to save a bit on weight. the longest shot last year was shooting 5 12" plates @ 100 yrd. i almost think i can shoot it with my reddot also.

heres said rifles.

20140706_144236_zps4tiemqyq.jpg

other config im debating

20140124_182213_zps2pq6c6tm.jpg

With those targets and ranges I'd just remove the can and shoot with the eotech. I shoot limited irons with a red dot and I am considering one of the new prismatic 1x sights. Last weekend shot a match with 12" targets out to 300 and a 16" at 400. Went really well and got my hits until stage with targets in the shade. Couldn't see them even with backers but neither could most of the guys with scopes.

At 100yds and in, you gain nothing with the scope over Limited division. I would leave the EoTech on the SBR, put the can in the safe for the match (timers can have issues picking up shots some times), and use it for the close matches if you want.

If you are going to shoot any other matches with long range steel....shoot the match rifle with 1-6 at all matches, and just leave it on 1x for the local club matches that are never over 100. This helps you really get used to THAT rifle and how it feels, swings, shoots, recoils,....

I've seen a few times where a 4" steel plate was thrown in at 90 or so yards, I was really glad to have my 1-4x on after watching some irons/red dot shooters hose 15+ rounds to make a hit. Not saying it can't be done but it really throws a lot of people for a loop.

I believe you, my swiss K31 will shoot under 3/4 with properly colored/sized targets when the lighting is right and I haven't drank any coffee that day. But when I'm in a hurry in a 3g match and it's a dirty gray 4" steel target against a dirt berm in low light I'm going to be brutally emasculated.

A 4" steel target will give people with nice 1-6 scopes occasional issues when factoring in the little timer.

We've started practicing offhand rifle at 50 and supported at 100 with 4"x10" AR500 plates. I'm just as fast with my T1 as I am with my Vortex 1-6.

I'm faster inside of 50yds with a red dot but I consider the longe range advantage of a 1-4 worth the tradeoff. My opinion might be a bit skewed by the fact that my budget limits me to one competition rifle so I need it to be versatile as possible and I hate switching out optics. My last match had a clay at 5yds that I could've shot faster with irons but then a 8" plate in a bush at 100yds and a 10" plate at 300yds from an awkward position where I more than made up for any close range slowness. I guess I just want my rifle to be able to do anything without my weak right eye holding it back.

I have an EOtech on my SBR/AR Pistol. I added a Vortex VMX‑3T 3X Magnifier with Flip Mount. It is only $250 vs EOtech's version that is $550. It co-witnesses perfectly and I think the quality is pretty good. Only issue I've had is that it is a little bit uncomfortable to flip it to the right. You have to place your right thumb on top of the magnifier, push the button on the front of the hinge with your right pointer finger and cock it off to the side. That might take up some time switching hands during a competition but with a little work it would be manageable. I opted to get a 1x4 scope with 45 degree iron sights for competition so I don't have to mess with it.

The trend, if not the new norm, is to go with 18" barrels, scopes (1x4, 1x6, now 1.5x8) and 45 degree iron sights for close stuff. Almost every pro I see and all the new competition ready ARs are configured this way.

Edited by afletcher1965

As far as 45 degree sights go it seems dueck defense would be it. Otherwise any flip ups will work on an offset rail, and I may be wrong but I think the Warne ramp scope mount has an offset rail that's on the correct sighting plane to work with standard height irons. And JP has a both sights in one unit that mounts on the handguard.