Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Trigger Question

nhglyn

I have purchased a Kimber Target II in 38 Super. Trigger pull is in the 4.5-5 lb range, from what I read pretty typical.

I want to know if you can safely lessen the trigger pull by bending the left hand leaf of the sear spring upward a little. My Open gun is a 1.75 lb pull and I would like to have the Kimber break in the 3 lb range. I have done this many times before on my Open guns.... are things the same for this 1911?

Suggestions? Warnings? Information? All appreciated.

Edited by nhglyn

"are things the same for this 1911?"

Depends on a myriad of factors. The sear spring is only one of the forces that make up the trigger pull weight. But to answer the question: I would have a gunsmith do it as the angles of the sear face cuts and hammer hooks are unknown on a mass made gun and usually need to be redone by a smith to get a very light trigger pull that is reliable and won't follow or double. probably also need to go to a lighter hammer spring to get lightest trigger pull, I don't know what Kimber ships in theirs.

I have a 10mm Kimber Stainless Target and I was wondering the exact same thing in regards to trigger pull. My gun has a 4.25lb trigger pull. The factory mainspring is very stout, Im guessing well over 20 lbs. The recoil spring as expected for a 10mm is very heavy.

Easiest way to check would be to put the sear spring of the open gun in the Kimber, do a function check and if the gun is still safe/functions measure trigger pull.

If the trigger pull is still very heavy you will need to do more than just adjusting the sear spring.

I kind of doubt you can lower the trigger pull bij almost 2 lbs by just bending the sear spring.

I've done it in my stock Kimber. Worked out very well. I got a trigger pull of about 3.5lbs. But I already had a clean trigger that had no creep in it at all. I replaced the heavy aluminum trigger with an STI nylon trigger with helped lessen pull about 1/2 lb. Then I replaced the sear spring with a Wolffe brand one, and kept the stock one intact in case I screwed up. I still use the original mainspring which in Kimber is 21lb. Here's an article from Brownells that explains how to lighten the trigger pull. I only did the adjustments on the sear spring. Did nothing else as far as stoning the sear. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12535/GunTechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull

I have done this to mine. My 9mm is around 2 lbs. I use a 15 lb mainspring if I remember correctly. The harder the gun kicks the harder it is to have a very low pull. (mm easy. !0mm with full house loads maybe not so easy.