Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for riding the reset on glocks

Mbiker101

Hey guys, I'm looking for tips on riding the reset on my glock 35. Recently at the range I was practicing and I was making a conscious decision to hold trigger down at firing then slowly releasing till reset. I kept practicing this faster and faster and I realized I can defiantly improve using the trigger reset properly.

What tips can I practice, I'm sure you guys have a better way to train my brain to work the reset. I've been a lurker for a while but figured I'd ask the experts.

Stock glock 35 with polish job.

So mgardner, you don't ride the reset you do a full trigger pull after each shot, that's what I've been doing but noticed when I practice riding the reset allows faster/more accurate follow up shots. It's the full trigger pull that can introduce bad habits.

It's the full trigger pull that can introduce bad habits.

why do you think that?

the goal on each shot is to pull the trigger straight to the rear w/o disturbing the sights. the reset has nothing to do with that process. If you try to ride the reset, it requires some of your attention which is better put to use elsewhere. Trying to stop your finger right at the reset point when shooting fast can also create tension, which is bad. IMO, the reset is just something that happens between shots, it's not part of the shot. thinking about It does not improve my shooting. I know the theory is that your finger doesn't have to move as far so it should be faster to ride the reset, but it's far faster to get rid of that distraction and get going on your next shot, no matter how far your finger moves.

-rvb

Hey guys, I'm looking for tips on riding the reset on my glock 35.

Don't

Learn to release the trigger quickly, past the reset, then take it up quickly to the point where you feel it stage the striker and then pull through As cleanly as you need to for the shot.

In the high speed shooting that we do you will not be able to ride the reset. You would be better off to get an aftermarket trigger that has the take up shortened that way the trigger already goes to the shortest distance on reset. I recommend the DKinsler trigger, he keeps all the safeties intact, and is uspsa legal. Some can ride the reset but sometimes you double clutch the trigger, suffer from trigger freeze, and other problems. You can do it during practice, but running around and shooting as fast as we do I don't know.

Hey guys, I'm looking for tips on riding the reset on my glock 35.

Don't

Learn to release the trigger quickly, past the reset, then take it up quickly to the point where you feel it stage the striker and then pull through As cleanly as you need to for the shot.

Took the words right out of my mouth ..... Don't

I ride the reset. I trained myself to do this before i started shooting USPSA. It went in a couple stages for me.

First I concentrated on just holding the trigger back during recoil. I made sure the trigger was held all the way back after the gun settled, then with sights back on target, i slowly released the trigger until I felt it reset. I focused on this for a couple of range sessions, and you can actually do this part with dry fire.

My next step was to time myself to start releasing the trigger a the gun started recovering from recoil. Not to release it right away, just to identify the exact moment when you need to start releasing the trigger. Basically, i am trying to train myself to start the reset a soon as possible after the round goes off. I am firing single shots only. I still try to release it very slowly, i just try to start releasing it as fest as possible.

My third step was to speed up my trigger reset to the point where the trigger was already reset, and tension applied for the follow up shoot by the time the sights recovered from recoil. Still firing single shots, after you identify the earliest instant you can start releasing the trigger, start training yourself to release it as quickly as possible.

I also noticed some connectors have more tendency to push your finger past the reset point than others. The small bend in the connector needs to be exactly at 90 degrees so the trigger bar can reset without pushing the triggerbar forward.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I've been researching and most on this thread are recommending doing a full trigger pull. I've found numerous other threads where they preach riding the reset. I'm probably going to practice both and take a few classes locally and see where that leaves me. I'm probably going to in between.

I've noticed that when I'm recovering from recoil, I hold the trigger all the way back until the peak of recoil lift. At the peak of recoil lift, I start releasing trigger, and pretty much let it go to full forward before coming back again. By the time I'm recovering downwards again, I take up the slack, and as I lower the front sight back onto target, I'm right on the break of the trigger. When I have tried to only release the trigger enough to reset, I found it slowed me down because the reset on my pistol is very light and not your typical super clicky Glock reset. I was paying too much attention to the feel of the reset, and as a result was backing up off the trigger a lot slower. Any efficiencies I was hoping to gain in releasing the trigger minimally were more than being outweighed by inefficiencies in the slower trigger release so that I could feel the tactile reset. But your mileage my vary, especially if you shoot a Glock or something with a more positive reset.

DuplexAlpha nailed it. His method uses the recoil impulse to run the trigger. When the gun rises in recoil you let the trigger out and before it comes back down you have taken up the slack and are against the wall ready to break the next shot. I just received a trigger bar from DKinsler, this trigger is awesome. There is almost no take up, your on the wall right away, when the trigger resets your back on the wall waiting to break the shot. This is the 1911 of glock triggers.

Thanks Tom, I've been researching and most on this thread are recommending doing a full trigger pull. I've found numerous other threads where they preach riding the reset. I'm probably going to practice both and take a few classes locally and see where that leaves me. I'm probably going to in between.

It's like anything else in life I suppose. You get different advice from different people.

I taught myself too ride the reset on my glock before I started competing. I was using a stock glock trigger, with the usual long + positive take up before hitting the wall around 5-6lbs. I feel this is the only way to shoot the stock trigger well, and I'm happy for some of the instructors I've had that helped show me how to do it right. Most of the time when i pull a shot, it's because I'm slapping the trigger. Even with a reduced power striker spring.

I do have some issues shooting guns like the lc9 with its false reset. I will short stroke that one at least once every time I shoot it. I have no issues with other striker fired guns like the M&P or PPQ.

I am not familiar enough with the race gun triggers to say how to shoot them best. Either way, the first two steps are just as appropriate in training your finger to do what you need to do. Like part said, it trains you to release at the apex so you are stacked at the wall in the trigger when your sights drop back down.

Tom

Riding the reset may work when shooting slowly but at the speeds we shoot on all but the hardest targets you won't be able to do it. Someone on here once posted that they had results from a wired up test gun that could show trigger movement during firing and even the good shooters that swore they only released to reset were completely cycling the trigger (like finger all the way off trigger) when shooting at speed

Riding the reset may work when shooting slowly but at the speeds we shoot on all but the hardest targets you won't be able to do it. Someone on here once posted that they had results from a wired up test gun that could show trigger movement during firing and even the good shooters that swore they only released to reset were completely cycling the trigger (like finger all the way off trigger) when shooting at speed

I was going to say I learned to ride the reset a long time ago and gradually got faster at it, but I haven't exactly seen a slow motion video of me firing, so for all I know I do exactly what is described here.

My splits are pretty decent for a Glock trigger, when doing Bill Drills it's not uncommon to see some .15's and .16's. I've had a couple of .14's and ONE time I saw a .13.

I think the only thing that matters is you let the trigger out enough to reset before you pull it again and you do all this quickly and consistently. How far past reset seems trivial even with stock glock triggers as long it's consistent.

The only advice I got from higher level shooters is to keep the finger touching the trigger.

Once you can do bill drills with under .20 splits more can be gained by other things like transitions, movement, stage approach etc.

If you're currently over .20 splits, pull the trigger as soon as the sights get back on the target. Don't wait till the gun completely settles.

Bob Vogel's description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSZUSIj2NA

DNH

If you are shooting slow, controlled shots, whether you ride the reset or release the trigger, take up the slack, then press doesn't really matter. They both work, it's just a matter of practice and preference. I prefer the latter, btw.

When you're going fast like we so-often do in USPSA, you just can't reliably ride the reset. It induces tension, which is a speed killer. You will also be more prone to trigger freeze. Learn to relax your trigger finger, let the return spring push the trigger forward, and press the trigger to the rear without disrupting the sights. That's how you shoot accurately at speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I end up coming off the trigger past the reset to ensure consistency, I've found that if I just go to the reset I seem to be less consistent as trigger freeze happens more. If you have a good grip and good trigger control you can slap the trigger and get away with it.

Guns and ammo tv program had Jerry Miculek and one of the host/editors who is a grand master talking about how the reset the trigger. The host said he releases the trigger all the way until his finger is off the trigger and touches the front guard. Jerry Miculek said he doesn't release the trigger that much and kind of has a feel for how far to release. The we're using a revolver so that's a little different but still great info and repeating what most have said on this thread.

Thanks everyone

I'd like to point out that the goal is to let the trigger out enough to reset and not disturb the sights when pressing again.

Rob Letham says it best http://youtu.be/CqqhSSiU_j8?t=2m37s. TGO might even weigh in on this discussion???

Bob Vogel looks like he comes off a little but then gets back on it. http://youtu.be/45QhpvY9LZc?t=6m26s

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here