Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I doing wrong?

cjfarmer

I've noticed this in the last few USPSA matches I have shot. Almost every single target I have an alpha and a Charlie. I'm assuming that my first shot on target would be the alpha. Any advice? I'm fairly new to the whole pistol game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of pairs are you shooting in practice?

With the front sight focus issue I agree it's best for pinpoint accuracy like in bullseye shooting but the targets are fairly close in USPSA and the A zone is big. I lose some front sight focus and look at the targets. Speed is essential in this game and watching the front sight won't get it.

TGO does an interesting YouTube video for Action Targets. Check it out.

Usually, if your C is off to one side it can be either a grip or stance issue. Are you consistently shooting to one side or the other?

Some shooters push the trigger to one side or the other at times. Are you sure you are pressing the trigger straight back.

There is a bullseye diagnostic chart that provides some preliminary diagnostics.

mgardneer; check out how many points down Nils has been at Nationals. I remember one Nationals where Roger said he was down only 7 points the entire match.

TGO does an interesting YouTube video for Action Targets. Check it out.

mgardneer; check out how many points down Nils has been at Nationals. I remember one Nationals where Roger said he was down only 7 points the entire match.

Actually TGO went on a little rant tonight about focusing on the front sight. LOL

Low left, assuming you're right handed, it's your trigger manipulation. Are you shooting a glock?

How is your bill drill? (6 alphas as fast as you can see your sights)

Keep the Bill Drill pace for your doubles by having the same feel on that second shot. Like you're doing a mini Bill Drill.

Don't dwell on the feel and get to the next target. Don't rush.

It will feel slower because you won't be rushing so put a timer on it so you have a reality check. It's a cool feeling not to rush and get a blazing time.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

I'm shooting a m&p pro 40. And I think Dave is probably right. I used to have everything hit low left and it was trigger manipulation. I would almost bet I'm rushing the 2nd shot and pulling it.

Bill Drill was a good suggestion. Pin the trigger. Set up a drill to break your shot, keep the trigger pinned, feel it reset, break the next shot. I think it is trigger manipulation too. Do that, focusing on the trigger, assuming you are waiting for the front sight to settle back on the target.

wg

If I don't maintain a certain degree of front sight focus I shoot less As. That's just me. We incorporate cardboard, steel plates, and poppers in our matches. I can't just throw it up and shoot with consistency....yet.

Edited by grouptherapy

TGO on a Rant. So it ain't so! What was his rant, they are always fun but very informative. He knows every nuance of shooting.

Did you see the Action Target Video?

Try this link:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Low left=jerking the trigger

He was walking by at Tuesday Night Steel and some guys were talking about concentrating on the front sight so I repeated it loud enough that he could hear it and they found out that he doesn't think much of it for speed shooting. Yes, I was bad and threw the bait out. LOL

Thanks guys. Our matches are mostly the cardboard USPSA targets, poppers, and steel plates. I'm sure I am probably jerking the trigger on the second shot like mentioned above.

Video yourself and see what you look like shooting. On long strings put the cursor on your shoulder and see if the gun is driving you back with each consecutive shot or if you have an aggressive enough stance that you just rock back to the same spot each time. If you are being driven back you may be pushing the gun back on target instead of just coming back naturally.

I've had the same problem before. The cause was I saw the sights for the first shot and had already shifted my focus when I made the second shot. The solution is to see the sights on every shot, I had to mentally tell myself see sights every shot for a couple matches.

Funny, stage I did this on at the NC State Match this year, had 3 targets on the move. I had a blazing time, looked at the 3 targets shot on the move and I had a shot dead center every one and no second shot at all. I saw my sights for the first shot and my focus was on the next target when I pulled the second shot.

Slowing down Is never the right answer ... Never

Shooting Alphas is meaningless if you can't do it fast

Yes, you are jerking the trigger if your hits are low, left

Until you correct your trigger mechanics problems not much else really matters ...

Only pull the trigger as fast as you can see, your vision dictates the speed you shoot at ....note, this is NOT the same thing as 'slowing down to get your hits'

As you gain experience you will learn what the minimum sight picture that YOU need to shoot an Alpha is for different targets. Eventually you will learn that you don't need the classic 'front sight focus' for every target but for now there is nothing wrong with using a front slight focus on all your shots

Accuracy ultimately wins the day as shooters of the same class generally shoot a stage all in about the same time

Edited by Nimitz

I have an average trigger technique, but found that squeezing the hell out of the grip with my weak hand helps with that, and gives better recoil control. The difference between strong and weak grip can be easily seen in a Bill drill.