Fabzz613

i need some advice on a load

.38 mids (.900)

147 gr xtream plated .357 dia

federal primers

with either clays or tightgroup powder

this is shooting out of a 627 pro with a 4 inch barrel

this is gonna be a load for uspsa and icore so 130-135 powerfactor hopefully

This year the load I took to nationals was 3.6 grains Titegroup under a 147 xtreme .357 9mm bullet in short colt brass, oal 1.118. Taper crimped it as much as my Factory Taper Crimp Die would allow. Made 135 power factor from a 5", and went into a 5" group at 50 yards.

Not exactly what you were asking, but maybe it will help you with loads.

ok cool that gives me an idea. going bye the hodgden website i 146gr hp out of a 7 inch test barrel

min 3.5 808 fps 119pf

max 4.0 914 fps 135 pf

+P 4.4 981 fps 144 pf

so if your getting 3.6 out of a short colt with a 5 inch

i might try 4.0 in my 4 inch with mids should get me close to where i need

i was using clays in special cases with the 147 and couldnt get a load to knock down the steel at my range even with .5 over max

Pulling up hodgdon's site on titegroup and 38 super I'm not seeing anything about a 7" barrel.

Hodgdon reports a 147 grain xtp bullet doing 976fps at 3.9grains titegroup at 25,600 psi. From a 5" barrel, at 1.260. Use a chrono, go slowly.

Info from 38 special isn't really your friend here...

ok cool i was looking at the 38 super data and was wondering if that load data was good to use i was kinda looking at the 38 special data and the super and cross referencing them the super max pressure seemed alot higher though

i dont have a chrono but my friend is gonna bring one to the range on the weekend. but i work at an indoor range so i can test fire new loads easy.

Just shot this bullet at the A7 match (accuracy & stupidity where all me, not the load :angry2:)

147 Xtreme either std or HPCB (HPCB's a little more accurate @ 60')

3.9 Clays

Fed primer

Fed +P case cut down to .9

1.290-1.295 OAL

130.1 pf out of a 5 inch 627 38/357, only thing to add is the revo has been Taylor throated.

Sorry, no Titegroup data, used it years ago but thought the gun got too hot.

• 3 weeks later...

What does Taylor throated mean, I heard a shooter talking about all the stuff that was done to his gun. When he was asked what throating meant, he wasn't sure as he just bought it. I've heard the term used before,not sure if it does anything or just sounds cool. Pete

Taylor throating removes the rifling from the barrel in front of the forcing cone where it passes they the frame. The only potential benefit I can see is using it to remove the tight spot in a barrel that has been over torqued into the frame.