Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just for Fun

WheelGunHunter

So, I remembered I heard about someone using the S&W X-Frame gun and cylinder dimensions to model a 10 shot .38 caliber cylinder that could be functional. I thought that was awesome, but I never got to see if there was an actual model. So, I grabbed my S&W 500, my 627, and some calipers and got to work on modeling my own 10 shot .38 caliber cylinder to see if it could would work on paper.

post-42932-0-19278000-1410613787_thumb.p

I'am not a gunsmith just a hobbyist but I have found it won't work with a variant of 38 special case because the wall thickness of 27 thousandths in between the chambers is too thin and the rims of the two cartridges would overlap. So, I changed the model to be chambered in 9mm the result yielded a wall thickness of about 16 thousands, it would work with a moon clip but getting a moon clip rigid enough with a width of 16 thousandths at each arm would be a real challenge. Then I changed the model one last time to be chambered in 327 federal magnum that yielded a wall thickness of 70 thousandths which I believe would have the best chance of being a working part. In all the models once the cylinder is indexed into position the chamber is concentric with the bore and the firing pin bushing. Meaning everything will lined up.

post-42932-0-17287300-1410613771_thumb.j

Edited for clarification and I will update this as I ponder all the variables that determine if this could work. Feel free to share you thoughts or concerns.

Edited by WheelGunHunter

Now does the bore line up with the chambers? I have seen a N frame in 32 mag in the 10 shot configuration which is only legal in Steel and ICORE. Good luck with your endevour. (sp)

Now does the bore line up with the chambers? I have seen a N frame in 32 mag in the 10 shot configuration which is only legal in Steel and ICORE. Good luck with your endevour. (sp)

Yes, it does. The short answer of how I know it does is because the hole in the firing pin bushing and the hole for the bore are concentric (they share the same center point) in my model I have made the chamber placement (after the cylinder as been indexed and the cylinder stop has engaged the cylinder notch) concentric with the firing pin bushing therefore it should be concentric with the bore.

I have never seen the 10 shot 32 mag but that sounds awesome, I have seen Vic Marhrens' 9 shot 32 mag he had it last Sunday at the local ICORE match it's always neat to watch him shoot it.

Edited by WheelGunHunter

Thanks for sharing the thread Larry. I forgot that it was Kirby who had the 10 shot I don't remember if I've ever met him but I remember hearing about him and his gun at Phoenix.

I'm a big fan of the .32 H&R Mag, especially in the Single Six platform (and a S&W M332.)post-32276-0-73423900-1410702078_thumb.j

IF (and that's a pretty big "if") money were no object, I would love to have a 10 shot .32 Mag (or maybe .327 Mag) on an N frame (like Kirby's.) Wouldn't be inexpensive; I wonder just how much it would cost!

No doubt would be great fun for ICORE and steel matches.

Also, i would think if actually made into prototype, weight reduction would be necessary. Instead of having a full length .500 mag cylinder, cut it down to either special length, or super length and extend the forcing cone. That, combined with a light weight 5 or 6 inch barrel would be pretty interesting.

Also, i would think if actually made into prototype, weight reduction would be necessary. Instead of having a full length .500 mag cylinder, cut it down to either special length, or super length and extend the forcing cone. That, combined with a light weight 5 or 6 inch barrel would be pretty interesting.

For sure an X-Frame cylinder would have to be cut like Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle guns cut this 627 cylinder

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/images/rev_gal/DSC02091.JPG

For sure an X-Frame cylinder would have to be cut like Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle guns cut this 627 cylinder

noobs

DSC02091.JPG

noobs

DSC02091.JPG

Who make the cylinder release in this photo?

noobs

DSC02091.JPG

Who make the cylinder release in this photo?

I believe that was a Californa Comp Gun Works, or something like that, if you'd like one like it drop me a line.

(also, I don't belive the original manf. is still in business/making them)

Edited by 10mmdave

It didn't look like a California Competition Release in the picture. I am presently running California Competition Releases on all my N-Frames. I liked that the one pictured's pushing surface was vertical rather than angled. With the way I grip my revolver I would think that release would work great. Too bad they don't appear available any more.