Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tap Championship WF, TX

:blink: 

After I shot that stage, I wondered why any stage designer would want to inflict physical pain on the shooter.  I did not like that stage... it hurt.  :(

I don't remember where in the stage description you were told you had to put your head IN the barrel :P

Try hanging back outside the barrel next time, and just putting your gun in it (or preferably not even in the gun in it on most barrel stages)

- makes it a whole lot less teeth rattling! :blink:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaun - I was thinking seriously about just diving all the way through the barrel, gun extended through the other side, and just shoot "superman" style.

But then I figured out I'd likely get stuck and ya'll would leave me there to fester while you were rolling on the ground laughing. :D

:blink: 

After I shot that stage, I wondered why any stage designer would want to inflict physical pain on the shooter.  I did not like that stage... it hurt.   :(

I don't remember where in the stage description you were told you had to put your head IN the barrel :P

Try hanging back outside the barrel next time, and just putting your gun in it (or preferably not even in the gun in it on most barrel stages)

- makes it a whole lot less teeth rattling! :blink:

Shawn,

The only way to turn the barrel was to have your whole friggin upper body in it so that you could use your elbows to steer it. I used to be into Muy Tai kickboxing and can tell you that shooting that stage with an open gun is about the equivalent of going a 2 minute sparring round where you take at least one kick to the cabesa. :wacko:

My knees were weak for a few shooters after that.

I don't remember where in the stage description you were told you had to put your head IN the barrel  :P

- makes it a whole lot less teeth rattling!  :blink:

Well, I guess I didn't figure out the correct way to shoot that stage then. With my short arms and shorty gun I'm not sure how I could have avoided getting as close to the barrel as I did.

Ha... to see Derrick stuck in the barrel "superman" style... if only he'd wear the blue spandex suit... ROFL!!! :lol:

The only way to turn the barrel was to have your whole friggin upper body in it so that you could use your elbows to steer it.  I used to be into Muy Tai kickboxing and can tell you that shooting that stage with an open gun is about the equivalent of going a 2 minute sparring round where you take at least one kick to the cabesa.  :wacko:

My knees were weak for a few shooters after that.

I was really surprised how much heat was blasted in my face in the barrels. I knew it would be loud so we all double plugged, but, My Gawd it was hot!

Next time I might have some non-3N37 loads just for a stage like that. :wacko:

-Chet

I was really surprised how much heat was blasted in my face in the barrels. I knew it would be loud so we all double plugged, but, My Gawd it was hot!

-Chet

Chet, do you have video footage of that stage?

To shoot that stage quickly you really needed to get in there and steer with your upper body..

unfortunately that got your head into the barrel and venting everything up made for some strong concussions...

maybe my skull is too thick...I remember getting in there...feeling the top of the barrel push on my headset..and me thinking...glad I double plugged..

definitely feel the heat and the concussion..when blasting away 8 or more rounds in there...

To shoot that stage quickly you really needed to get in there and steer with your upper body..

unfortunately that got your head into the barrel and venting everything up made for some strong concussions...

Yeah, Stuart, I saw alot of people crawl right in there <wince> but the quickest runs I saw were with people only putting there gun and arms up the elbow or so in the barrel, you could steer the barrel plenty ok with arms, without inserting your torso - and yes it was still loud with an open gun even then :ph34r:

Check out your photo of MM2 at the barrels in the Gallery thread - definite lack of head in the barrel, barrel being steered by contact with arm, not actually putting any of his upper body weight into the barrel.... perfect example.

Anyway, yes, I agree, it was loud as heck no matter which way you shot it... the concussion came back on you even if you were outside the barrel, just not so "filling rattlingly" - I just hoped everyone double plugged!! :blink:

post-1837-1111520343_thumb.jpg

-Chet

Chet, do you have video footage of that stage?

I've uploaded some footage of stage 9, including some in-barrel PoserCam action to the USPSA site. Love those over-swinging barrels.

Higher quality versions of this and the rest of the stages will no doubt be available on the DVD Chet is no doubt hard at work on.

Check it out: uspsa-photos.org/.../DTR_Stage9.wmv (5 MB WMV)

Good footage - notice the subtle difference of having your arms in the barrel, steering on sides of barrel, with head just outside (first couple shooters) vs. laying arms in barrel, head/shoulders in barrel (last shooter). Small difference in postion, huge difference in blast (and speed in and out of position).

Granted, as pointed out, your body size, height does make a big difference in where the barrel is compared to your size frame... I was able to only use my arms to steer with by bowing my arms slightly out to the side more than normal, and not get my upper torso in the barrel... but I'm 6" and about 230, so thats what worked for me.

Definitely not picking on anyone, I just wanted to offer some advice on handling these particular barrels.....I've shot them a couple times ;) .... your results may vary B)

I decided the best way to do the barrels was to treat them like a port. In other words, turn it to the first target (same as everyone else was doing), then move it to in between the two remaining arrays. After gunning on the two targets it only took a slight lean to finish the last target - no moving the barrel three times, only twice. Great plan which I should have executed better (make up shot on steel, overswung the left barrel - right one went as planned). I thought it was a fun stage.

I'd like to add my kudos to the other posts. I'm darned new to USPSA, having crossed over from IDPA, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to shoot this major match so close to home.

I saw a lot of people I have known for quite a while, and I had a blast!

I plan to attend quite a few more matches in the future. Thanks to everybody who had a hand in setting this one up.

Andy C.

The pict of Max is on the right side leaving the barrel, just finishing up, and getting ready to go to the right barrel. He is already squared up, backing out. Max jr. used his elbows to steady and turn the bbl.,with his head just outside the opening. He is a long lean tall guy. The shorter the person, the closer to the bbl. and the more body parts that are in the bbl., shooting the same way. In the vidio, they all steered the bbl with the elbows just inside the foam rim, but due to body styles, they endeded up in different positions, just ask Tonda how far in the bbl she was doing the same move. As Shred pointed out, the problem with open was the blast comming right back in your face., after amplified off the end of the bbl..

Edit: I was trying to show, say, is that there was no longer any need to move the bbl.

The pict of Max is  on the right side leaving the barrel, just finishing up, and getting ready to go to the right barrel.  He is already squared up, backing out.

This is the last position MM2 shot..he has just engaged his last target of the stage..

Cool vids Shred! I am sure Chet Polo will have a cool DVD out as well! As for the barrels, I didn't pay them any mind. Pistols just aren't as much fun in a barrel as an AR with a good brake, or an M1A. I guaranty that brass that was accumulating in the bottom of the barrel wouldn't have been there with a carbine or rifle. Shotgun slugs out of a barrel are kind of cool also, for the max "blowback" :D . KURTM

Wanted to throw in a few more props to Robert and the DT crew. They ran out of trophies at the awards ceremony and promised to send me mine. In my experience (somehow this is the 3rd time it's happened to me), that usually means "next year when we order trophies, we'll get an extra made for you".

Two days ago I got my custom Double Tap crystal trophy in the mail. Cool.

We don't Mess Around at the DT ranch. Got right on it, Wanted you to have the Trophy while the Glow was still on the candle sort of speak.

Look for the North Texas Section Championship here at the Double Tap Ranch in late August 8-10 stages we are cooking up some intresting stuff for this one also. We will post the stages probaly around mid July on the Double Tap Web page.

Hey Stuart Do you mind if we use a few of those great Photos in the article we are working up for front sight of course we will give you Full Billing for them they are FANTASTIC!

One Last thing... Sherd Is There any way you can upload those videos in a different format besides .WMV, i think that is the only one I can't Read on my Computer (mac)

Thanks

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished burning the master DVD copy of the Double Tap Match (RO match). Got all the RO's and a few others in action...but not everyONE on EVERY stage - alas, such is the handicap of the videographer (if that's a word) that shoots the match. Next time I can get out to Double Tap, I'll bring a pile of these DVD's.

Robert - good job with the match. Wish I could have been there for the main weekend.

Also uploaded vids from a few of last year's matches. Sizes from 4-10meg.

Check 'em out at: http://www.uspsa-photos.org/gallery/2004-5-Match-Trailers

Wow I saw the Trailer on the web page I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the DVD Thanks for doing it.

Also Chet is going to do one of his professionaly done dvd's (no Slight to you steve) for the Double Tap CHampionship and we will have a link on our web page and maybe a trailer when he gets his done so folks can buy them. He has done one for area 4 last year and the Texas state Limited last year real nice box and everything.