Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax cam pin?

bmiller

Shot a match today, a friend's versamax broke a hammer. Mine had a shell sitting on the carrier with the bolt failing to close with high brass buck rounds. Didn't do it a lot, but happened. Tore it apart tonight, the cam pin is peened on 2 sides. Would this cause this type of malfunction? The gun was dirty, but well lubed. Did not have any problems with rem gun club shot. Thinking about replacing the hammer firing pin and cam pin with benelli parts. The bolt and carrier look fine. Wondering if I put in a Benelli cam pin , it will peen the carrier.

Thanks

Edited by bmiller

The hammer sucks, mine is already peening itself to death after roughly 500 hits.

It depends on how the cam pin was peened, but it is still unlikely in my opinion. Did the loads get stuck on one side of the chamber or the other? Have you tried cleaning everything? A lot of people have issues with shells getting stuck on the right side of the chamber on the way in. Most people throat the chamber on that side to fix it. One thing that alerts me is the high brass buck rounds were likely 3" and the rem gun club were likely 2 3/4". Are you having issues with different lengths? There are a lot of possibilities in shotguns that don't tend to pop up with handguns or rifles, makes it more difficult.

For now, clean everything and try again. Then we can do some basic things to enhance reliability which will make it go longer between cleanings (or even without cleaning) while still running reliably.

Edited by Whoops!

YES!!! The cam pin is a very critical part!!! It is the main causes of clicks instead of bangs in the Remington system. I recommend replace the cam pin and at least the hammer with Benelli parts. Saves a whole bunch of heart burn both now and latter on!

YES!!! The cam pin is a very critical part!!! It is the main causes of clicks instead of bangs in the Remington system. I recommend replace the cam pin and at least the hammer with Benelli parts. Saves a whole bunch of heart burn both now and latter on!

This X10! Kurt knows that of which he speaks

Cool, good to know

Anyone know a good source for these factory Benelli parts? Midway seems to be out of stock on some essential things.

Edited by Whoops!

They were out of them last night. I ordered a remington to put in until the benellis come back in stock. Will a benelli extractor work in a versa?

An M2 extractor does fit a Versa Max, along with the hammer, sear, and cam pin. These parts are already in my buddies Versa Max. A Super Black Eagle lifter is the correct length for the Versa Max.

I haven't seen excessive battering on the carrier as Remington did a much better job heat treating that part, but I also haven't run that set up for an extended period of time. I know some folks have a bunch of rounds on Remnelli concoctions so maybe they can chime in.

Since it was my hammer that broke what parts are interchangeable between the Benelli and Versa Max? Below is a list of parts I was going to replace with Benelli parts. Are there other parts I should change and are there parts that should not be changed?

extractor and spring

firing pin and spring

cam pin

hammer

Since it was my hammer that broke what parts are interchangeable between the Benelli and Versa Max? Below is a list of parts I was going to replace with Benelli parts. Are there other parts I should change and are there parts that should not be changed?

extractor and spring

firing pin and spring

cam pin

hammer

The only one I'm not sure of is the firing pin. I don't know if the length is the same. When you replace the extractor, the holes are offset, you drive the pin out from one side with a smaller punch. From the top, if I remember correctly.

Thanks Dan

Are there any other parts that should be changed or any parts that should stay Remington? When my hammer broke I had 600-700 rounds on it and it broke by the hook not where it was mushrooming from contact with the firing pin so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks Dan

Are there any other parts that should be changed or any parts that should stay Remington? When my hammer broke I had 600-700 rounds on it and it broke by the hook not where it was mushrooming from contact with the firing pin so I'm a little concerned.

Those are the parts that I'm aware of. My buddy had shortened his carrier, to keep from getting bitten. He shortened it too much, and when he called Remington for a new part, the person in parts suggested a spare extractor, because they broke often enough. He already had the Benelli parts. :devil:

If you have a standard charge handle, not a round version like a Versa Max Tactical, you may want to have a spare. At Rocky Mountain, one of the British shooters had his break at the sight in range. A gracious shooter from Canada had a spare M2 handle that fit just fine.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Thanks Dan

I love my Versa Max I'm just a little nervous with that hammer breaking and FN just 9 days away. I managed to snag the last Benelli hammer Midway had (and the only one I could find). I have the Nordic charging handle and C Rum did my carrier so those should be good. Just trying to cover all the bases since I'm new to 3 gun shotguns.

Thanks Dan

I love my Versa Max I'm just a little nervous with that hammer breaking and FN just 9 days away. I managed to snag the last Benelli hammer Midway had (and the only one I could find). I have the Nordic charging handle and C Rum did my carrier so those should be good. Just trying to cover all the bases since I'm new to 3 gun shotguns.

Shotguns are fun. I've come to like them more and more. Make sure you say hello, I'm working stage 5 at FNH.