Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor pin backing out

horseman

Anyone else had trouble with the pin holding the extractor in backing out on the underside of the slide? I have found mine sticking out a 1/4 inch a few times lately. Punch it back in and during shooting out it comes.

High mileage early M/P Pro 5 inch.

Would the fix be a new pin?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Broke 3 punches and never dented the force field holding this thing in. Got a new pin from Smith.

Next trip to the gun smith I will have him press it out. Have about 2000 rounds through it with no problems from it hanging out the bottom of the slide.

Broke 3 punches and never dented the force field holding this thing in. Got a new pin from Smith.

Next trip to the gun smith I will have him press it out. Have about 2000 rounds through it with no problems from it hanging out the bottom of the slide.

Chop one of the (now bent) punches very short (like 1/8") - use as a starter punch.

• 1 month later...

Yes, this happened to me also, on both my .40 carry gun and my Pro9. Both had solid pins. Turned my semi-auto pistol into a single shot, mostly during rapid fire. Lots o Tappin and Rackin going on here.

The pin was apparently catching trigger bar and holding it down, preventing the tail of the bar from lifting the sear to cock the striker. Each time I had a dead trigger, and the live round that was extracted had a very slight dent from the striker.

Solid pins should be replaced with the updated rolled pins as stated above. And don't use locktite as stated above.

Remove the old solid pin by pounding it out from the top through the bottom of the slide. Install the new pin from the bottom.

If you have em those pin-starter punches are the best way to being. Then use the roll-pin punch.

Mine has not caused trouble. It just hangs down to a point and stops. And Thor's hammer isn't bring that b....h out. Broke three punches and used them until there was no punch left(shorter and shorter as they broke off). So I have a roll pin in my gun box and a hanging down solid pin in the gun. I hate defeat but I admit defeat.

Same with my older 9L about 3 years ago. Sent the slide to Apex, they replaced my extractor with a FRE (failure resistant extractor) radiused it and replaced the solid pin with a roll pin. I too, broke all my punches trying to get that b***h out! :angry2: