Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Toolhead Bolt Stuck/Seized

Hey guys. I need to do a caliber change on my Super 1050. I can't seem to get the toolhead bolt loose. I even tried to give my crescent wrench a few whacks with a hammer with no luck. I was about to get a steel pipe to get a longer lever arm on the wrench but thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks for any better ideas before I go making a bigger mess of things. It's a year old machine and the bolt has never previously been removed. I'm going to give Dillon a call first thing tomorrow but I was hoping to get some work done tonight. Thanks!

Mine was stupid tight from the factory. Drop the tool head down and put a big wrench on it (I used a breaker bar).

Always loosen or tighten with toolhead down. Have you tried some heat? You should be using a box wrench, or (IMO) a 6 point socket, with breaker bar. You risk rounding the bolt with a crescent wrench and hammer. The right tool for the job.

Alright, this thing is STUCK! I called up dillon and they said the bolt is torqued down to 40 ft lbs and that I shouldn't use a breaker bar. They advised me to use some penetrating oil instead. I picked up some liquid wrench, sprayed it liberally around the bolt and washer, let it soak for about 45 min and it still won't budge. Against dillon advice, I even tried a breaker bar with a socket attachment. Now admittedly, I'm no schwarzenegger. I'm more like an Eddie Furlong, but it shouldn't be this hard. I suppose I could really lean into it row boat style, but I'd worry about putting too much stress on the press. I'll let the liquid wrench soak more. What do ya'll think about Kroil? Would it be that much more effective to place an order on their website? I guess while I wait for it in the mail, I can do more dumbbell curls and pull-ups.

Or put a length of pipe on the end of your breaker to extend the length. I doubt penetrating oil will help much so it doesn't matter which brand you try. Get out about 24" from the bolt and you'll have enough torque to crack it.

BTW, the bolt doesn't know where the force is coming from. Wrench, breaker, impact, whatever, it's going to take X amount of twisting force to get it to move.

Got it loose!! Thanks all for the suggestions. I let the liquid wrench soak overnight. Not sure if that did it or if it was just the extra lean I put into the breaker bar. Boy, I sure cussed out that bolt once I got it off!

I would say call Dillon, but you did that already.

50% ATF/50% acetone penetrant and leave it for a day or two.

I lower the tool head down all the way and use a socket and ½" ratchet (cost enough, I'll tell you).

When you get it off, put some grease or anti-sieze on it.

Is this a NEW press or has that tool head been on for a couple of decades? If new, it should really be a Dillon issue.

• 11 months later...

I have the same issue on one of my 1050's. I tried the electric impact wrench, socket with breaker bar, heat, everything. I'm afraid of putting too much torque on the bolt because I can feel the casting and mount twist and flex. Next time I'm home I'll try the penetrating oil again and see if it breaks loose. I think Dillon read their torque wrench wrong. Probably 400 Ft/lbs instead of 40....