Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun empty chamber pistol start

Fordfan485

Recently shot a 3gun match under 3 gun nation rules for the first time. Wasn't my first 3 gun match but was first at this particluar club and under 3 gun nation club rules. Every firearm had to start with magazine inserted but no rounds in the chamber on Rifle, Pistol and shotgun. This really screwed me up on every stage especially pistol and shotgun. Shotgun was especially painfull because rounds couldn't even be on the lifter at start. I was shooting my beretta 1301 for the first time and didn't realize that the first time you rack the bolt it only puts a round on the lifter and not in the chamber. Finally figured this out on the 3rd stage and discovered the little button on the back of the lifter to load a shell out of the tube and onto the lifter. Now I can understand an empty chamber on rifle and shotgun if they are on a sling and are not the first firearm used. But in the case of this match shotgun and pistol were all on a table or flat barrel before they were used. And pistol empty chamber, I mean come on we all have a hot pistol in USPSA and IDPA, never heard of a pistol going off on its own in the holster because someone is shooting a rifle or shotgun. About the only time this makes since if you go prone and have the muzzle break 180. But in that case I would rather leave it up to the shooter. You go prone empty chamber if not, make it hot and its on you to not go prone.

USPSA is 30 second penalty for dumping hot gun. I have shot matches with empty chamber starts before 3gn. The idea with pistol at least is if it falls out you don't have a round in the chamber pointed at someone.

Per 10.5.3 a competitor who drops their gun is subject to DQ.

USPSA is 30 second penalty for dumping hot gun. I have shot matches with empty chamber starts before 3gn. The idea with pistol at least is if it falls out you don't have a round in the chamber pointed at someone.

Per 10.5.3 a competitor who drops their gun is subject to DQ.

I think he is refering to USPSA 3 gun and dumping a Hot pistol in a bucket that is not on safe and chamber empty

Unloaded pistol starts are especially nice when the shooter is likely to go prone with Rifle or Shotgun before dumping the Pistol. This way there is not a loaded gun with who knows what kind of trigger job pointed back at the ROs, other shooters, spectators and downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to be a wiseass. When in rome do as the romans do?

The rule is for a reason. Everyone is on the same playing field.

Better safe than sorry!

I had a HOT pistol come out of a holster going prone, so I see where this rule is coming from.

Hope you enjoyed the match

Mildot

If loaded pistols are falling out of holsters it's an equipment problem, historically severe penalties like match DQ have motivated shooters to solve the problem. Pistols are carried every day by people that sit, stand, climb ladders, do all sorts of things with no problems.

The worst problem is the lack of consistent rules. I had a young shooter ask me what gear and what the rules are for three gun, he was excited after seeing some event on tv, I couldn't think of anything other than very general suggestions for him along with contacting what club he was going to shoot at.

Back in the good old days of SOF three gun the rules were adjustable by the day sometimes by the hour, we should have progressed some by now.

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)

Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)

Hate Forum Rules:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097

[note: this is a generic reply]