Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sherlock (PBS series)

benos

I am really enjoying that show. I've watched all but the last episode of the first 3 seaons.

A friend told me it was good, and that I'd like it, but for some reason I didn't think I would. I was way wrong. The writing is top notch, and all the characters are great. And it's definitely in the re-watchable category.

Another good PBS series (just one season) was The Escape Artist.

I was really excited to see Star Trek Into Darkness when I heard that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to play the villain. I had envisioned him as capable of delivering the great scene chewing lines that Ricardo Montalban did in his turn as a Trek villain. Sadly the writers didn't give him much to work with. He is my favorite actor to portray Sherlock though. Martin Freeman is no slouch either and I really love his portrayal of Watson.

I like how they stay so close to the actual stories. I know they have to change some things to update the story for modern times, but they keep it very close. And I have read the entire Sherlock Holmes collection.

Edited by WidowsSon683

First off, I have to admit I went into the series with a bit of a prejudice. Sherlock Holmes is one of those characters that I don't like to see messed with. If you want to screw around and be clever, create a new character rather than using an older one hoping to ride the coat tails of their popularity. It's been done to death.

Add to that the fact that the definitive Sherlock Holmes has already been done and his name was Jeremy Brett. It will be nearly impossible for anyone to ever better that series or even come close.

But I rather think that the writers found a decent new approach in this latest series. It's a fun mix of old references with new stories. At least they did in the first two sets of stories.

The second season got a bit odd with Moriarty partly because they accelerated through it too fast to get to the climax but it was fun just the same. The third season, however, fell flat on it's little beak in my opinion.

The first episode of the third season was a massive disappointment. It's as if the writers had a debate about how to resolve the cliff hanger from season 2 and couldn't decide so used them all - and they all pretty much sucked. A mystery with no solution in a mystery show is rarely a good idea. 3.2 was almost worse - a nearly pointless exercise in demonstrating that Holmes had no social skills - something we already knew. And then 3.3 repeated the error of season 2 of rushing through a story to get to the cliff hanger.