Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax light primer strikes

GetAwayDriva

Anyone having problems with light primer strikes? I get it with cheap shells like Walmart federals and other no name brand, as well as higher quality Rem STS and Win AA. It is not picky, it will do it with any kind of shell. I have had burrs removed from the bolt and contact surfaces. Everything has been polished and cleaned up. Firing pin hole checked for debris. Firing pin polished. What else can I check or do?

When you say it happens with any kind of shell, are you saying it happens with high base shells too? Or just any kind of target load? It is sometimes hard to tell if it is going fully into battery because if it isn't, the hammer usually pushes it home when it falls. If you let the bolt partway forward by hand and then let go, does it still close on a shell? If it runs ok with hot loads, the higher bolt velocity may be slamming it home. What percentage of the time is it occurring?

We don't shoot any high brass shells, just target loads, slugs and buck. It will do it once out of 100 rounds or so. At the very least, it will do it once every time I shoot it at practice or at a match. Sometimes a lot more, but at least once. You can close the bolt as slow as you want to and it will go into battery on a shell.

+1 on that. A lot of people have had issues with the soft cam pin wearing into funky shapes that compromise function if not well lubed.

By any chance has a gunsmith checked the headspace? It is a one-in-a-million chance that Remington shipped a gun with excessive headspace, but if the rim isn't supported the firing pin just shoves the shell forward in the chamber. Swapping out the hammer spring is a cheap try, and may solve the issue. How many rounds through the gun, and has the problem existed from day one?

Cam pin is not worn or deformed and has been well lubed. I bought the gun used from my brother in law about 9 months ago. He did not shoot it very much. If I were to guess, I would say I have probably put a thousand rounds through it. Will have to check on the headspace. Thanks!

I was having a more severe light strike issue, probably once every 50 rounds, and changing out the hammer spring fixed the issue immediately. Another possibility is the spring that provides back pressure on the firing pin to stop slam fires is too strong. If you're ordering a new hammer spring you might as well order a enw one of those and replace them at the same time and see if it fixes the problem.

If it has been stored hammer-back for long periods, the hammer spring idea is starting to sound like the right track. Contact Remington and see if they will send you one before spending the money on a headspace check. Average gun shop charge for a headspace check is $50, and many shops who do not specialize in shotgun work don't even HAVE a 12ga set. +1 on the firing pin return spring as well. Both together should be well under $20.

Thanks everyone for the help! I always drop the hammer when I store the gun, but I don't know what my brother in law did when he had it. It sounds like some springs are the answer. When inspecting my hammer, I noticed that the hook that contacts the disconnector is chipped so I have a new hammer, hammer spring, and firing pin spring coming. Also ordered a cam pin too, just in case. Hopefully this will solve my problems!

How's this for a kicker? It is worse now with the new parts. 6 boxes of shells total, 10 that didn't go bang. 1 box of rem gun club shells ran fine. But the other cheap shells did not. The federal Walmart shells were the worst. I had 3 in a row fail to detonate. I did not try any sts or AA. I checked to see if the bolt was locking up fully on the shells that failed to fire and it was. We did radius the sharp edges of the breech face quite a long time ago and it ran fine for a while.

I did replace the firing pin spring with a Benelli one. So I swapped out the trigger group with another VM trigger group. Ran my trigger group in the other gun. No light primer strikes. Ran the other gun's trigger group in my gun, multiple light primer strikes. So that tells me it is not the trigger group.

On a round that does not fire, put back in chamber and see if it hangs at all. The win cheap loads have large variations in rim and case head diameter. If the chamber has not been throated, that might be the issue.