Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made a window for viewing a primer on the 1050

I don’t know about others with a 1050, but I just like to be able to see if I have a primer left in the primer slide, or if the primer is upside down. So I made this clear plastic cover so I could see the primer in the slide.

1050clear_guide_copy.jpg

For the safety police, I made a blast shield out of aluminum to cover most of the clear guide window. Although I am not worried about a detonation.

1050_clear_guideCover.jpg

Very simple.................Like me. :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G6SJSS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Make some out of some 0.093" Lexan... Lexan is shatterproof.

This window was made out of acrylic which will shatter. I do have some polycarbonate (AKA Lexan) in .250 inch. I just thought that the poly I had was a little too thick. I am rethinking that now, because with the aluminum shield, it works out to about the same thickness. But it was made, and it works, and I didn’t want to make it again.

Now this is the first step to an optical sensor I am contemplating that will detect an upside primer and sound an alert. It is on the drawing board in my mind. I have asked my buddy, who knows a lot about electronics to make some cheap suggestions about parts. If I make it, I will show it off. Although I have no plans to make money with anything I make.

Edited by RonofVa

I could see an optical sensor detecting a flipped/missing primer. But is there enough time on a down stroke to do something about it?

It will get to the next station, but there is enough time to remove it from the powder charging station, so you don't have to pull the bullet and dump the powder. Usually you don't even know you have an upside down primer until you find the bullet in the bin. I might be wasting my time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G6SJSS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Make some out of some 0.093" Lexan... Lexan is shatterproof.

This window was made out of acrylic which will shatter. I do have some polycarbonate (AKA Lexan) in .250 inch. I just thought that the poly I had was a little too thick. I am rethinking that now, because with the aluminum shield, it works out to about the same thickness. But it was made, and it works, and I didn’t want to make it again.

Now this is the first step to an optical sensor I am contemplating that will detect an upside primer and sound an alert. It is on the drawing board in my mind. I have asked my buddy, who knows a lot about electronics to make some cheap suggestions about parts. If I make it, I will show it off. Although I have no plans to make money with anything I make.

Look at the Arduino system... Some really neat stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A little blue birdy turned me onto this...

in the spare parts kit for a 550, there is a part called a Cartridge Spring, #13926. it looks like a paper clip, and it is the top left item in the picture of the 550 parts kit. order a couple.

When they arrive;

On the 1050, remove the white plastic piece from the primer seating station that holds the case in place, and with the long end sticking outward toward the right, fasten the clip down with the screw with a case in the station with the normal amount of play. With a strong wire cutter, cut off any excess of the spring clip so the handle doesn't hit it during cycling.

now you can see the primers in the primer slide...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

A little blue birdy turned me onto this...

in the spare parts kit for a 550, there is a part called a Cartridge Spring, #13926. it looks like a paper clip, and it is the top left item in the picture of the 550 parts kit. order a couple.

When they arrive;

On the 1050, remove the white plastic piece from the primer seating station that holds the case in place, and with the long end sticking outward toward the right, fasten the clip down with the screw with a case in the station with the normal amount of play. With a strong wire cutter, cut off any excess of the spring clip so the handle doesn't hit it during cycling.

now you can see the primers in the primer slide...

jj

Thanks for the tip