Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mag Wells

John Thompson

one that you have to cut the frame and solder the magwell on? My last para had one made by I think G&B Custom which welded on and allowed the use of flush fitting magazines. Brownell's no longer carries these kinds.

OR

Who makes a good bolt on that allows the use of flush mags?

I ask this because the gun is going to be used in IDPA matches and I did ckeck out the recent thread on this. I may have to go S&A and modify or just don't use a magwell. How about beveling? Has anyone had this done?

Dawson's don't fit in the box or allow stock mags.

S&A standard mag well is too wide, but allows stock mags. You will need to shave the sides about 1/16" on each side to fit in the box. They also have an IDPA version that will fit in the box.

The only problem you might run into is weight. My P16 with a shaved S&A magwell weighs 43 ounces without the mag. The mag is another 2.5 ounces (stock tube, follower, spring, and flat Arrendondo basepads.

You will need to contact S&A for the IDPA magwell.

It'll be tough to get it under 43 ounces. I've been thinking about it. S&A does have aluminum versions of the magwell, that might save some weight. My shaved magwell with spring and plunger weighs 3 ounces. An aluminum version will weigh around 1 or so ounces. Too bad no one makes a delrin full length guide rod. A switch to a short guid rod will loses maybe another ounce or two. You might just squeak under the 43 ounces.

EGW says they can lighted the S&A well in the mainspring housing area and they can also lighted the Para frame in the area under the grips. After the work is done on my gun he's going to weigh it and see how much has to be done to get it IDPA legal.

I called Smith & Alexander and the lady who I spoke with said they didn't have an IDPA version. She also said the aluminum version would get beat up in the IDPA(ISPC is not popular at S&A) but the aluminum S_I's do ok so maybe that's the way I'll go.

Comments?

I just put an Dawson Ice S&A Retrofit magwell on my Para. It is a little wide but I am going to have it milled down 1/16th of an inch and it will fit into a box. And it is 1/2 ounce under the weight limit with an empty mag.

I called Smith & Alexander and the lady who I spoke with said they didn't have an IDPA version.  She also said the aluminum version would get beat up in the IDPA(ISPC is not popular at S&A) but the aluminum S_I's do ok so maybe that's the way I'll go.

Comments?

I fitted an aluminum S&A to my P14, and it's held up fine. Definitely a weight-saver. The gun also has an aluminum frame, so it's fun to watch people's expressions when they first handle it.

I called Smith & Alexander and the lady who I spoke with said they didn't have an IDPA version. She also said the aluminum version would get beat up in the IDPA(ISPC is not popular at S&A) but the aluminum S_I's do ok so maybe that's the way I'll go.

Comments?

I have an s&a on my para. I shaved the sides down to fit in the IDPA box.

It is plenty wide for cant miss reloads.

The nice thing about the s&a is if you decide to use extention bases they all seem to fit the S&A with out modification