Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are the Shadow SA/DA and/or SP-01 Shadow the best sub-$1k options

Hi!

I'm a new shooter looking to get into competition shooting, likely starting with USPSA Production or IDPA SSP, and possibly going into 3-gun.

I understand the normal pathway is to take your time, shoot what you already have (S&W M&P9, on a waiting list for a HK VP9) and then upgrade when appropriate. However, (1) I live in California, (2) the Single Shot Exemption that allows us to import guns not on our "safe" handgun roster expires at the end of the year, (3) I really want a CZ, and (4) I have a budget of about $1000

From what I've read elsewhere, the ideal CZs in the sub-$1k field are the CZ 75 Shadow SA/DA for IDPA SSP and the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow for USPSA Production.

In your opinion, would you agree or are there other CZ's that I should be considering?

I ruled out the Tactical Sports because I don't think they are Production-legal and not IDPA-legal at all.

I also ruled out the SA models because people keep saying to leave them DA/SA for IDPA, though I don't know why. Perhaps they're not allowed in that configuration.

I'm uncertain about whether or not to pursue a decocker model. Seems like the future of trigger work is harder on them than the non-decocker models, which may or may not be a factor for Production/SSP.

While it would be ideal to get a SP-01 Accu-Shadow or SP-01 Shadow Target, I don't think they're within my budget at this time.

Edited by EatsEverything

Welcome. This probably belongs in the Factory Pistols part of the forum. Lots of good info there too. I very much prefer CZ pistols myself and your choices are sound ones. You won't be sorry. You do realize that the pistol is probably the least expensive part of competitive shooting. You'll spend lots more on ammo or components if you get hooked.

Edited by mgardner

CZ SP01 shadow for Production with the short reset trigger mod, extended firing pin, fixed competition rear sight. Just call Stuart at CZ Custom and he'll talk you through ordering one. Or hit him up here on the forum ... Screen name 'eerw'

There is no 'best'... You have to use what works for you... I know production GM's who shoot glocks... And D class shooters who shoot Wilson Combat super grades. You can buy Master class... Finding a pistol that feels good, and shoots straight for you is the key. Maybe you could find someone in your area who would be gracious enough to let you run a gun you like... You'd be surprised how different it is when you shoot some. I always thought I wanted a Tanfo... Shot one... And it obviously didn't want me! Lol

Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The budget way to do it is to get this:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/

You can do upgrades along the way. It will be very good, but keep in mind it has a FPB

KneelingAtlas is the trigger man for this model, he is also in CA I believe. Get one, hook up with him and you will be good to go. That gun will never hold you back

Edited by zhunter

So im in Cali. If your looking for something sub $1000 just get the SP-01. that on the list right now. You'll have to SSE a shadow and depending on the place you end up spending about $100 just for the SSE which would probably put you over that $1000 mark. I would suggest just going with an SP01 and tune it up. you can make them pretty nice. if you willing to spend the money go for the Target or even the accu before the SSE goes away. Ive got a target and i love it. I dont do any idpa but i do shoot alot of USPSA production and the CZ Shadow and my Stock 2 have been the best for me in Production.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Through a little luck, I was able to find a CZ 75 Shadow DA/SA through Oak Hill Guns, and barring any surprise fees running it through Addax Tactical, it should come out to just a hair over $1000.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for SP-01 availability toward the end of the year and mod up. I'd like to have both platforms eventually for different divisions.

The on roster SP-01 is fine. Get the competition hammer and you're ready to go. For off roster, OK, get the SP-01 shadow, it has no FPB.

Realistically speaking, any gun will work because often, it's not the gun that matters. It HELPS if you need the help. (ie if your trigger manipulation needs help, then of course a 1911/2011 will help) if your reloading needs help, then either don't reload much (Limited/Open) or shoot a double stacked gun (ie; not SS and definitely not SS Major or Revo!).

THe SP-01 Shadow or non-shadow will serve you extremely well. Just practice safely decocking it (with an empty gun of course). Practice that 1000 times.

Or get the decocker version. Even if the decocker takes more effort to smooth out, just send the gun out to be smoothed over by a pro if you want, let them do the hard stuff.

As a relatively new shooter who has only used striker-fired polymers up to this point, would you recommend training on the CZ with DA right off the bat, or manually cock and get used to it with SA first and then add the DA later? I'm inclined to go with DA right off the bat since I'm still kind of a blank slate. (I may be completely ignorant here and talking out of my butt.)

Practice decocking. Got it. Is there a preferred method to do this? I saw a video where the demonstrator let the hammer fall on his finger and then slowly rolled his finger out.

As a relatively new shooter who has only used striker-fired polymers up to this point, would you recommend training on the CZ with DA right off the bat, or manually cock and get used to it with SA first and then add the DA later? I'm inclined to go with DA right off the bat since I'm still kind of a blank slate. (I may be completely ignorant here and talking out of my butt.)

The DA shot is a part of the draw, apply pressure as you acquire the sights, the shot breaks as the sights meet the target. Easy :cheers:

Practice decocking. Got it. Is there a preferred method to do this? I saw a video where the demonstrator let the hammer fall on his finger and then slowly rolled his finger out.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

"Eurotrash method" :roflol:

Here in 'Murica, us cowboys use the spur!

The DA shot is a part of the draw, apply pressure as you acquire the sights, the shot breaks as the sights meet the target. Easy :cheers:

I need to find a range that will let me fire from a holstered draw. I live in LA and I've yet to see an indoor range that will let me do that.

"Eurotrash method" :roflol:

Hah! That's the video that I had seen.