Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double feeds

Jody Waring

What is the most common cause for double feeds in a CZ Shadow? Been getting a few lately with two different batches of ammo. Mag springs are good extractor is good as is the spring. The two bullets I'm using I am loading to 1.105" to clear the chamber. Got a big match coming up and sure would like to have this sorted out. Thanks for your input.

Have you changed anything lately? What type of bullets are you using?

Nothing other than the gun being clean, I've done that mod for the breach face a long time ago. It's quite odd as I went quite some time without having this problem. Any particular brand of brass more apt to drag the next round in the magazine? I need to measure some as some appear to have larger diameter rims, or does that even make sense? 147gr flat point and 124gr RN both are plated.

Jody..

Double feed? actually two bullets being fed at the same time??

or is the malfunction different? live round, emtpy case in chamber, or live round empty case in ejection port?

Hi Stu. The next round is pretty well stripped from the magazine and the top round is either chambered or nearly but not picked up by the extractor. It's almost like somehow the bottom round pops the top round free from the extractor and is merely pushed forward without being grabbed by the extractor and locked to the breechface as the slide comes forward. Not sure if I'm making any sense or not, l need to stop and take a pic the next time it happens. Thanks

If I'm understanding you correctly the round being fed is getting locked up by the extraction claw causing it not to chamber. I've seen this happen when people replace the extractor spring with one of the extra power springs. Another issue I've seen is getting oil around the breach face. It will quickly build up gunk under the extractor and in the firing pin hole causing failures to feed, extract and light strikes. Degreaser and a brush will fix this. The breach, firing pin channel and extractor should always be dry. There is nothing in this area that requires lubrication.

There's a loaded round in the chamber with the next round in the magazine stripped free of the magazine or nearly free which locks the gun up. Mixed brass yes. I'm leaning towards that being some of the problem.

Sure sounds like a mag spring problem to me. I know you said you have new +10's in them, but are you cleaning your mags after they hit he ground? Could be some gravel/sand interfering just enough with the follower not allowing it to be at full tension from the spring.

That's the only thing i can think of.