Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650-hard to pull up on handle

I have a Dillon XL650 and have loaded many thousands of rounds on it. Lots of different calibers. It seems that lately, when I've Been loading 9mm, the handle sometimes gets real hard to pull the expander/powder measure die out of the case. So much so that sometimes I get a POP so hard that powder spills from the case. It doesn't happen on every case, but I'd say 75% of them.

I wet tumble in SS pins, let dry thoroughly, am using Lee dies, and I've tried cleaning the die too. At first I thought maybe these were getting work hardened from many firings, but I've also noticed it from OFB. Different manufacturers.

It may also be with other calibers, but I've been loading lots of 9mm lately so that's what I've been noticing it with.

Any tips or ideas?

I personally think the wet cleaning is part of the problem. Brass gets clean as new which is usually the brass that sticks the most.

That being said, my 9mm does it on 650 as well sometimes. I just learned to power through the sticky spot

Using SS wet can make them so clean they "grab" the expander. Tumbling with corn or walnut and polish makes them much smoother.

If you have never used case lube on pistol rounds, you might try it. After the first time I loaded with lubed pistol cases I never have loaded them without lube.

What about after wet tumbling, toss them in the vibratory tumbler for 10 minutes or so, with some sort of lube. Maybe a dry lube or something, or just a squirt of polish... No media in the tumbler though. That way I wouldn't have to sift them again, or have corn cob media falling out of the hopper.

Anyone done anything like that?

Edited by Scratchthejeepguy

I started out not using case lube to load 9mm, but after using it I will never load without it again if I don't have to. It reduces the effort so much and One Shot is so clean.

I dump a couple hundred pieces of brass in a box, like a flat that soda came in or whatever, spray it, then roll the box around so that most of the brass is standing up, then give them a shot into the case mouth.

let it dry for 2-3 min and go, it reduces handle effort 70-80% in my estimation...

I like and recommend Lee's sizing dies along with a Lee seating die. Lee's sizing die will size closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter

than other brands. That said check your powder funnel in a sized piece of brass. If it's tight put it in drill press and polish the part leading

into the case so the case slips on the funnel with slight effort. Then polish the powder funnel till it's bright. Polish the inside of the funnel

also helps with bridging powder. I remove the plastic tube and polish the inside of the power measure also. Use sand paper to smooth the funnel

area then Simichrome to mirror polish the funnel slide bar and the area the slide bars move in. Don't remove metal here just smooth out. Helps

keep powder drops consistent.

Don't care what the box says always use case lube makes the whole process easier on the brass, dies, press and the operator.

I don't like using lube on pistol brass...

What don't you like?

Smoother operation?

Easier on the equipment?

Easier on your body?

More consistent OAL?

Fewer case gauge rejects?

I don't like using lube on pistol brass...

What don't you like?

Smoother operation?

Easier on the equipment?

Easier on your body?

More consistent OAL?

Fewer case gauge rejects?

it's messy.. don't like having gummy dies after long sessions.. also i live in a dusty environment so if I leave my brass out for a few hours it will be covered in dust that a simple wipe down can't clean.

don't get me wrong I lube for rifle loading. just don't use it for my pistol. Dillion carbide dies work great

One shot is not gummy unless you use about ten times more than needed. That's why I don't like other more traditional lubes like Dillon. Yes I agree Dillon carbide dies are great. But they are awesome when used with lube. :)

Sounds pretty dusty for you. I am glad to not have to worry about anything like that. I have to worry about keeping humidity down in the summer though.

One shot is not gummy unless you use about ten times more than needed. That's why I don't like other more traditional lubes like Dillon. Yes I agree Dillon carbide dies are great. But they are awesome when used with lube. :)

Sounds pretty dusty for you. I am glad to not have to worry about anything like that. I have to worry about keeping humidity down in the summer though.

I haven't tried one shot. I will have to. ...I do have the dillion lube..

I live in the desert. And it's always windy.

Its always better with lube.

I haven't tried one shot. I will have to. ...I do have the dillion lube..

I live in the desert. And it's always windy.

I use Dillon Lube for rifle and One Shot for pistols. Never tried One Shot on rifle because I tumble them again after sizing & trimming.

Tried both OS and Dillon on pistol, I will only use Dillon. I cannot understand the reasoning behind trying to muscle thru pistol cases without lube. And the notion that carbide dies eliminate the need for lube is just silly. What the hell does carbide have to do with it??? It's still being done without lube. My dies rarely need cleaning, and when they do, I just spray down the entire head with dies still attached with gun scrubber or brake cleaner.

Using lube will also give you way more consistent cases when you measure them.

Dillon for right rifle brass for sure. No stuck cases. Using OS on rifle cases, you will have stuck cases in full length sizing dies.

After loading pistol, 20 minutes in the vibrator tumbler removes the lube, and after running rifle cases thru my processing head before loading I run them in the tumbler for a couple hours to remove the lube and swarf left from trimming. So the lube is removed, no cases or ammo laying around collecting dust/dirt.

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I cannot understand the reasoning behind trying to muscle thru pistol cases without lube. And the notion that carbide dies eliminate the need for lube is just silly. What the hell does carbide have to do with it??? Probably because regular steel dies require lube. People started making carbide dies and they do not require lube to work. None of the literature says lube really makes it easier to load. It only says no lube required. So many newer reloaders never even try lube with carbide dies

Using lube will also give you way more consistent cases when you measure them. Truth

Dillon for right rifle brass for sure. No stuck cases. Using OS on rifle cases, you will have stuck cases in full length sizing dies. Hornady even tells us not to use one shot on rifle cases because they will stick. It is not intended nor designed for rifle.

After loading pistol, 20 minutes in the vibrator tumbler removes the lube, and after running rifle cases thru my processing head before loading I run them in the tumbler for a couple hours to remove the lube and swarf left from trimming. So the lube is removed, no cases or ammo laying around collecting dust/dirt. I typically tumble off the one shot from my pistol rounds as well. It's not really too bad without tumbling but it is noticeable after a long match or shooting session with your fingers getting a little sticky.

I reloaded a bunch of 9mm but sprayed the mouths with One Shot before hand. The problem is completely gone. I'll be doing that from now on. Any ideas on how to get them to all stand up before I spray them?

I've been dumping about 50-75 in a round cake pan and swirl-shaking them until about 75% of them stand up, then a quick shot of OS. Looking for a more effective method though...

I reloaded a bunch of 9mm but sprayed the mouths with One Shot before hand. The problem is completely gone. I'll be doing that from now on. Any ideas on how to get them to all stand up before I spray them?

I've been dumping about 50-75 in a round cake pan and swirl-shaking them until about 75% of them stand up, then a quick shot of OS. Looking for a more effective method though...

I also use One Shot on pistol cases but I generally try to keep the lube from getting inside the mouths of the cases. Enough lube gets on the mouth of the cases to keep the powder funnel lubed but too much leads to powder sticking to the inside of the case walls. No real problem, but can get a little messy with some powders.

Anyway, if you wanting to get cases to stand up, here's a link to a video that will show you a "trick" to getting cases to it quick and easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkUnUqMo8U

Edited by razorfish

See? One Shot is awesome stuff. I swirl/shake exactly like you are probably doing in a big flat box, the steeper you tip it, the more will stand up. You may not lube every single case mouth, but you get most of them and that keeps the powder die sufficiently lubed that you won't have any sticking issues.

I also use One Shot on pistol cases but I generally try to keep the lube from getting inside the mouths of the cases. Enough lube gets on the mouth of the cases to keep the powder funnel lubed but too much leads to powder sticking to the inside of the case walls. No real problem, but can get a little messy with some powders.

Anyway, if you wanting to get cases to stand up, here's a link to a video that will show you a "trick" to getting cases to it quick and easy:

Wow... Thanks for sharing that video! I don't shoot .40 but will be getting some of those for sure! That's exactly what I need for this.