Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going Prone

Just4FunLP

I have only done it 3 times in 12 years of off and on competition. Two of those times were on the same 50 yard classifier standard course so it doesn't happen very much.

Draw your gun to your strong hand, place your weak hand on the ground in front of your feet, kick your legs out from underneath you and back, fall onto your stomach while you bring your support hand onto your gun, and start shooting.

You will have to practice it a bit to see whether you prefer resting the magazine on the ground or keeping it lifted just off. You can also rest your head on your strong side shoulder if you are having trouble getting low enough to see your sights.

For people who don't shoot pistol from prone (like me) it's amazing how much harder it actually makes it to shoot. It's definitely something that would be good to have better feel for but I just don't see it enough to put it high on my list for practicing.

I had to do it this last weekend in a match. I'll describe the stage, and how I decided to shoot it.
Position 1- Port with array.

Postion 2- Port with array.

Position 3- LOW (under a fence) with array.

Position 4- port with array.

Start at positon 1.

Position 3 and 4 are about 4 feet from each other.

I shot them in order 1,2,4,3.
I knew I wouldn't be able to change levels for the low port, going up AND down as quickly as just moving back from 4 to 3.

My Plan-

Start-

Shoot 1

Move

Shoot 2

Big Move- Reload
Shoot 4

Short move to 3

Transition gun to weak hand, place strong hand on ground, kick legs out, re-grip normally, shoot 3.

END.

I did it this way for a because my weak arm elbow isn't very strong; I didn't want to risk an injury.

When I did the ULSC, while still prone, I dropped the mag, and ejected the round and locked the slide. I then looked at the RO and said "I'm going to set this on the ground, stand up, and then pick it up and re-clear, okay?" I did so, was good to go.

Was a fun stage!

Edited by Jaycwebb

Jaycwebb

What was the distance? I'm trying to figure at what distance it makes sense to transition from standing to prone. I know it may be different from one person to the next. I recently did a classifier at 105ft, and I think I would have been better prone. I'm not sure if I had a choice though...

I have never seen anyone go prone willingly in USPSA.
Distance would have to be 50 yards or beyond to even consider.
Have you tried shooting from prone on the clock?

Edited by alma

The distance was 15-17 yards or so. The distance wasn't the issue so much as the giant wall blocking the targets. The only way to see them was to either go prone or go really low on knees. But I found that when kneeling I wasn't getting a good view. I tried both and found that I was able to get into the prone position faster.

If it weren't the last position on the stage I would have taken the knee.

I have seen prone positions at a couple Area 2 matches, the Western States Single Stack Championship and the 2013 Area 1. Watch the first stage on this video of Nick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPKBUZnvjc

The prone shots were "optional" if you wanted to risk some fairly long head shots completely backed by no-shoots or go prone for wide open targets. There are rumors of Prone at the upcoming HG Nationals...

ETA: A video from 2011 Area 2. go to about 1:40 for prone under the pickup truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OBfdTU6BY

Edited by ChuckS

We have lots of older folks (me included) in this sport. Prone position sucks period, but even more for us. If it's included in a match, for the love of goodness, it should only be used on the last array and then only if absolutely needed.....

Jaycwebb

What was the distance? I'm trying to figure at what distance it makes sense to transition from standing to prone. I know it may be different from one person to the next. I recently did a classifier at 105ft, and I think I would have been better prone. I'm not sure if I had a choice though...

You must have been at talon... Think I hit 6 out of 12 on the 105 feet target. I know it looked like a shotgun had opened up on it by the time we got there

If you have to shoot from a low "prone" port, try to make that the last firing position, if possible. Getting down there and shooting is WAY faster than having to get back up to engage other targets after the low port.

Check your zeros in practice too. Chances are, they are different from your usual, upright sight settings. When I shoot "rollover prone", I have to aim at 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty) to achieve center-A hits.

Mark

Jaycwebb

You must have been at talon... Think I hit 6 out of 12 on the 105 feet target. I know it looked like a shotgun had opened up on it by the time we got there.

Yea, it was at Talon Range... Here's the video. It's classifier CM 99-63 and now that I think about it there's no way to shoot it prone. You're standing in a box and must reload and engage another target. I was just wandering when it makes since to go prone when shooting at a long distance. I guess I could do some experiments myself.

This video is actually my second run. They forgot to paste one of the targets for my first run, but I had two misses and thought it was going be an opportunity to do better. I was the last shooter in the squad and the next squad was gathered up, so I had to rush to reload and I didn't slow down. I'm usually very slow, but I was the fastest shooter on the stage... Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!

I'm surprised you don't do prone much in USPSA. in IPSC I'd say for the 'average' 2 day match which is 12 stages, 1 stage will usually have a prone position (a recent match had a stage with, start in box, gun on table, retrive gun, shoot 4 targets at about 35 meters, run to the prone position (wall with 8 inch gap at the bottom) engage 4 targets, get up, run past 2 close targets with a no shoot in between, hit the 2nd prone position and engage 4 targets. the targets through the prone positions were at about 20 meters.

so yeah, we usually go prone once per match. it's a good skill to have.

as the guys mentioned your best bet is get your head sideways down on your strong side shoulder so that your dominant eye (assuming it's the same as your dominant hand side) gets nice and low to look through the sights. otherwise you'll find yourself looking over the gun.

most often it is the last position in the stage. I would suggest we never have ULASC on the ground. once you finish you slowly and carefully get up, the regular ULASC and HDH. holstering the gun on the ground is not a good idea.

there's nothing to be worried about, but it can be a sweeping trap. just keep that gun right out in front of you (muzzle safe direction) and be wary as you go down and get up.

I personally wouldn't transfer the gun to the weak hand. seems like a higher danger of getting your strong hand in front of the gun.

most just keep strong hand out in front, fall to the knees, weak hand to break the fall, legs apart and usually off to one side for stability, head down on SH shoulder and away you go. :)

I don't mind it. it mixes things up. sucks when it's raining though...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info BeerBaron ( and everyone else). I tried its couple of weeks ago. I was using a rather fluffy exercise mat and it seemed difficult to get the gun all the way down to take advantage of the firm surface to rest the gun on. I think I just need a simple piece of rug. Also, I had setup a mini stage and didn't have my targets all the way against the back stop so the angle had me shooting over the top. I had been out there for about 5 hours and it was a humid 100F, so my heart really wasn't in it. I'll try it again soon. I think it will be fun.

Gun touching the ground doesn't work for me. It's seems to be a more natural shooting position if I rest the elbows on the ground, and hold the gun up. That technique also allows for easier transitions, and seems to be a easier, and faster position to get in to.

P.S. I recognized Mr. Mueller, the RO, from the video you posted. He's a really great guy. Learned a lot from him when I started out in this sport. He use to be a regular at SEPSA in Jacksonville, and Fernandina.

Edited by grapemeister

yep agreed. generally if I had the gun on the ground it would be too low for me to get my eye low enough to use the sights properly.

There is a video by Saul Kirsch on going prone. What he suggests really only works for open guns but it may help.

Resting the gun on the ground only really works if you have a 170mm mag to prop the gun up enough. but even then be aware that pushing down on the mag can cause malfunctions.

I suggest elbows on the ground gun up off the ground to get you the best sight picture.

Though the porpoise type move saul does at the end seems to work for him, but I'm not sure I'd be stable enough even with my ample belly to lie on...

Gun touching the ground doesn't work for me. It's seems to be a more natural shooting position if I rest the elbows on the ground, and hold the gun up. That technique also allows for easier transitions, and seems to be a easier, and faster position to get in to.

P.S. I recognized Mr. Mueller, the RO, from the video you posted. He's a really great guy. Learned a lot from him when I started out in this sport. He use to be a regular at SEPSA in Jacksonville, and Fernandina.

Yes, Dave is absolutely top of the line. He works hard to make the matches happen in Tallahassee. We had a bunch of new shooters on our squad this month and he took time to help each one. He's a class act. I always try to get on his squad.