Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 minor load

copecowboy22

So I signed up for a steel competition and now I need help finding a light load and spring combo. I'm using a stock Springfield operator and 200 gr lswc. After a little bit of looking on this forum I think I'm going to start with 4.0 gr of titegroup (only pistol powder I have at the moment) and go from there. I'm just now sure where to start on springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I shoot one of our Kimbers in ESP on occasion. 3.0 of Clays and 3.4 of Promo go an average of 650-660 fps with a 200 gr SWC.OAL is 1.250". I use 9 round mags in ESP. Love those big round holes.

Does this steel match have any requirements/guidelines on minimum bullet velocity? The slower the bullet, the more elastic the collision. I wouldn't want to be around steel being hit at 650fps. For paper, I wouldn't be concerned...but for hard targets, I'd want the bullets running faster...like 750fps or more. 185gr @800fps is plenty soft.

• 3 weeks later...

Call/email Wolfe Springs and get one of their reduced recoil spring packs so you can calibrate the load to how you want your gun to cycle. Also you can tune it to recover better for each load and how you hold the gun etc. Not as important on steel because you transition each target but still useful

Why not go major 45? It's easy to make and manage plus it has a soft recoil if load development is proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can make .45 major with less recoil than factory ammo, but you can make .45 minor that feels closer to soft 9mm than .45.

Berrys 185 HBRN. 4.6 VV 310. OAL around 1.220 or so. Crimp .462

Around 145-150 PF and will function with stock springs, but a 10lb spring is best.

Shoots well at 25yds as well.....

DougC

.462" crimp? Really. That's definitely going to leave a mark in a plated bullet. Did you perhaps mean 0.472"?

• 4 weeks later...

3.8gr VV N310 behind a 200 LSWC is a soft shooting and accurate minor load. I use it for Bullseye. That being said, several of the poppers and plates at our club activate other targets and have to be hit hard to go down quickly. A hit with a 144PF 9mm does not always do the trick and you are better off double tapping. A solid hit from a 170PF 45ACP does the trick immediately, and double taps are not much slower at all. If you want to stay minor, I'd recommend PFs higher than 155 for just that reason.

• 3 weeks later...

4.9 gr Titegroup under a cast lead 155gr SWC averages 869 FPS~134 PF out of my HK USP Expert and easily shoots 2" groups at 25 yds. You can't imagine how soft this is. Even functions the gun, however the HK comes with a variable weight recoil spring and I'm sure that's why.