Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911/2011 Brand offers best bang for the buck?

MissionaryMike

You can't go wrong with an STI. That said as far as your question, you will either get 15 pages of answers or none. Way to many variables, what is worth it to someone on a very fixed budget a Rock Island qualifies, a "sponsored" shooter whole different story.

At this point I'm judging companies in how they treat their warranty claims. All mass produced guns are going to have flaws, which basically presents two questions: 1) are the flaws a problem? and 2) if so, how will the company deal with them?

One make I don't see mentioned too often for single stack is Dan Wesson. I bought a PM9 several months ago and can't be happier. About a thousand rounds through it so far and not one issue. Fit and finish are excellent, trigger is nice and with a little tweaking of the sear spring breaks at 3 1/2 lbs. I added and S&A mag well and a pair of VZ slant grips and as far as I'm concerned that's all that it needed. I know the true test will be how it holds up for the next 9,000 or so rounds, but for know I'm quite happy with what $1,400 bought me.

Recently purchased my first 2011; an STI Edge. I know there quite a few manufacturers.

Who do you think offers the most quality and reliability for your dollar?

MM

If you already bought the gun then why ask the question now?

Or are planning on another one?

Recently purchased my first 2011; an STI Edge. I know there quite a few manufacturers.

MM

Ya, I did a pretty good bit of online research before making the plunge. But so far, I have only my own research to go on b/c I don't have much hands-on experience yet, even with my own Edge. So, I guess I'm still hungry for more opinions, and I hadn't quite come across a question like mine, at least not a recent one.

Besides, can't I just ask?

MM

Ya, I did a pretty good bit of online research before making the plunge. But so far, I have only my own research to go on b/c I don't have much hands-on experience yet, even with my own Edge. So, I guess I'm still hungry for more opinions, and I hadn't quite come across a question like mine, at least not a recent one.

No worries.

Welcome to the 2011 world. There is so much to learn, you will have a great time.

I think the comment was well intended amigo. Since you have picked your girl just focus on learning to dance with her.

MM

Yes you can. I was just curious.

I think you made a good choice. Shoot the Edge for a while, then if you get it into your head to mod it you can always gut it and put in new parts (hammer, sear, disco, mag catch, trigger, safeties, and even the barrel). Keep the old parts as spares just in case.

I have played with a more then a few 1911's and Finally bought a STI Eagle this year. I never looked back. I was a little upset about the finish ( I got a blued model ) I shoot a lot of IDPA and dabble with USPSA ( Only because we have a lot more IDPA shoots by me ) The finish wore off in less then 4 months. I got in touch with STI and they refinished it for me in less then 3 weeks. To me that says something. Gun shoots great and the company cares for their customers.

I see many more STI's in my future. Though they will be hard chromed.

Yeah the finish is a pain. I hate blued finishes. I got my Eagle cerakoted as soon as I could and my Trojan, which I have had for almost 3 months and the finish is starting to wear from holster use, will be done this winter. Not just for looks but for rust resistance.

I'm a little bit curious about the "2011 brand" part of your question as there is only one manufacturer that mass produces a gun based on the 2011 frame (STI). Everybody else either just makes frames, or builds custom guns to order. CK Arms is the closest I've seen to a true manufacturer who is turning out ready to go guns with parts that they actually machined, that are not custom builds.