Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on coated bullets

jclap86

This may be a dumb question but can you shoot them at indoor ranges that don't allow lead bullets? It would seem the answer would be yes once you explain them to the range unless I'm missing something? Thanks

It isn't a dumb question, but it will be up to the individual range. There is no such thing as consistency in the lgs business

This may be a dumb question but can you shoot them at indoor ranges that don't allow lead bullets? It would seem the answer would be yes once you explain them to the range unless I'm missing something? Thanks

It isn't a dumb question, but it will be up to the individual range. There is no such thing as consistency in the lgs business

Thank-you, that does make sense.

Yes Black Bullets work great and Chandler is a very good guy to deal with. I shoot them at every match and love them!! blackbulletsinternational.com

One final thing to consider when buying coated bullets, or anything else for that matter, is how much a particular company supports shooters or matches. I don't think any coated bullet company comes close to Black Bullets International (BBI) in the amount of sponsorship towards our sport of USPSA. Chandler supports tons of shooters and BBI is in most every match booklet as a sponsor. This means more to some than others but it is a big factor. I don't shoot many coated bullets but when I do they are BBI's.

To be fair, every range is different, and not every back stop, ventilation system, and local municipality is created equal

JJP161- ask the indoor range manager, its the only way to know. Probably some will let you and some won't. I've examined coated bullets (Bayou- most recently) that I fired and recovered and the coating was somewhat intact. The rifling tends to strip some of it away as will whatever it hits after leaving the barrel.

Bayou supports a bunch of shoots that I've been to

SnS also

BBI I'm sure does based on posts, not so much in my area BUT hopefully that will change

By the way that is the order I use coated bullets BUT they are all good and the guys that run them seem as good as the bullets

I like Donnie cause a few years ago when you had to wait for bullets he would get me some when I was flat out !!! So he's got

Most of my business since!!

I've never shot a coated bullet out of my guns, but I'll opine based on what I see at the range. Many of the USPSA shooters shoot moly coated bullets. They seem much more concerned with barely making Major than with accuracy. The groups I see (shot from a rest) are horrifying.

This last weekend, two tests were done at the range. One was a test of 147gr 9mm bullets in lead FPs and "purple" bullets. With the exact same load, from a rest, the lead went into a 1" group at 14 yards, and the purple into a 3" (Glock with a KKM barrel). The second was a test of 9mm 115gr "gold" poly coated vs. American Eagle factory jacketed ammo in a Glock with factory barrel. The factory jacketed was better, but not by as much as in the previous test.

I'm a fan of Xtreme plated bullets. I run their 40 cal 165gr HP, heavy plate conical base in my TS. I find them clean and accurate. Also, the thick plating won't scrape or crimp off like the soft poly can. I'd encourage the OP to try some of all of them and then decide. Although I'm fortunate in that my TS shoots everything well (except 155gr), it shoots some brands better than others. You just have to experiment to find out.