Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass and Moon Clips

acpie360

The gun is S&W 627 38spl/357. I have two questions -

1. If you have large amount of mixed headstamp 38spl rounds, including lots of Winchester 38spl's, whose moon clips will work the best for range practice? TK Custom says the HearthCo moon clips won't work for the Winchester. Is there a such thing as "one size fits all" moon clip?

2. If I'd like to stay with the HearthCo moon clips and buy all my 38spl brass anew for competition shoot, whose brass shall I be looking for? I see a lot guys mentioning the Starline brass, but TK says the HearthCo's "may be a little loose". Any other recommendations?

Starline's 38 special, short and long colt all have the same extractor groove. The moonclips fit to starline, ordered directly from Hearthco himself, fit the best.

You can PM him on here, search for member Hearthco.

I use starline short colt, and use them for practice as well. For non reloading matches, like steel challenge, I have a pile of ranch products clips and Federal and Remington brass. They barely stay in the clips and I would never imagine reloading one on the clock.

I would buy your brass from Starline and get the moon clips from HeathCo that fit the Starline brass tight. For practice with mixed brass just load without moon clips.

Edited by toothguy

1. If you have large amount of mixed headstamp 38spl rounds, including lots of Winchester 38spl's, whose moon clips will work the best for range practice? TK Custom says the HearthCo moon clips won't work for the Winchester. Is there a such thing as "one size fits all" moon clip?

2. If I'd like to stay with the HearthCo moon clips and buy all my 38spl brass anew for competition shoot, whose brass shall I be looking for? I see a lot guys mentioning the Starline brass, but TK says the HearthCo's "may be a little loose". Any other recommendations?

Not quite sure what Tom ment. My starline clips are appropriately tight for starline brass. One size fits all would be Ranch

Edited by hearthco

Not quite sure what Tom ment. My starline clips are appropriately tight for starline brass. One size fits all would be Ranch

Dave,

Thanks for chiming in. This is what's posted on TK's website.

Dave,

Thanks for chiming in. This is what's posted on TK's website.

That ref is for the stamped clips. If you go down a bit more, he lists starline specific

627x8match.jpg

.38/357 627x8

8 - shot S/S, STARLINE

S&W Model 327, 327PD, 627, 627 Pro & TRR8

STARLINE Brass.

TKC Match

Designed by HearthCo.

Clips are .025 Thick.

Package of 10.

I have 2 S&W's that take 38 Moon Clips, and another 5 that load with speed loaders Only.

What I have done is sort out the RP and Federal cases for moon clips. The rest go in the Speed Loader Ammo jugs.

I have been reloading 38 Special for over 40 years, and I have a healthy supply of brass.

If I did not already own a 5 gallon bucket of 38 brass, I would be ordering Starline brass and TK moon clips for Stasrline Brass, or ordering direct from HarthCo.

Bob

When they say "does not fit Winchester brass" do they mean the fit is not as snug, or that it simply will not work at all?

The undercut beneath the rim of Winchester brass is narrower. The thicker more rigid clips will simply not fit.