Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dies for .223?

bigarm

What dies do you suggest for loading .223 on a Dillon 550 b? I see that Dillon has two different sets, one with a full length carbide sizing die and the other not. Is that the only difference and is the more expensive set needed? I have looked at other brands and many of them are two die sets/ Why?

I think Dillon recommends the carbide one for people who load commercially. Meaning many thousands of rounds. Three die sets usually have separate seat and crimp dies, two die sets have the seating and crimping in one. I never crimp .223/5.56s, just don't run the die body down and it won't crimp, just use it to seat bullets.

99% of people use dillon's steel rifle die's. they work great

Wow, not sure how any of the other die maker's stay in business based on all of the rest only sharing 1% of the market...

:goof:

Wow, not sure how any of the other die maker's stay in business based on all of the rest only sharing 1% of the market...

There's always a joker in the crowd, but seriously Dillon is the way to go for progressive rifle loading

There's always a joker in the crowd, but seriously Dillon is the way to go for progressive rifle loading

Well, not really, I am just a fact based finance and statistical guy and when people throw out numbers I pay attention.

I am in the proverbial 1% though, I use the Forster dies and really like them for .223 and 300 BLK.

I just bought the RCBS small base X-die set and a LEE Factory crimp die. I'll see how the X-die works. I liked the idea of not needing to trim my rifle brass (assuming it works, the reviews were favorable).

as far as I know, the x die does not eliminate the need to trim, it just foregoes it. the 1st pass in the reload process the brass is trimmed shorter than normal, and then the mandrel in the x die is supposed to keep the brass from stretching after that in subsequent reloadings. you have to keep your brass separate, ie, one piece gets thru that didn't get trimmed shorter than normal, and that case will probably get damaged to the point of unusable if you don't catch it before sizing it. then after a couple of passes/firings, the cases need to be trimmed again. by then I would have lost it anyway... I don't use one, so I am sure an x die fan club member will jump in here and tell me I am totally all wet... :closedeyes:

I just run everything thru a processing head with a trimmer, then load it later as needed. tumble to clean in-between heads. minimal handling, easy peasy. :goof:

JMHO

jj

Right. I don't have any issues with processing a large batch and then only using that brass until it wears out. If I get to the point where I'm reloading really large volumes, I'll look at other alternatives.

and to add, I would be surprised if anyone gets more than 4-5 reloads with 223 brass anyway... :)

That would depend on how far you bump the shoulder back and how hot you load, I use a RCBS case mastering gauge to measure stretching and thinning in the web area. And if it doesn't stretch and thin you can shoot it far more than 4-5 times.

IMGP5204-1_zps5590eee6.jpg

You do not need max loads for practice at or below 100 yards, and the load below is very easy on brass.

288_zps26698a67.jpg

The X-die does what it says on the tin, but that doesn't mean it "works" if process is broken. What I mean by that is that keep track of every case you've used and when and making sure no other random brass gets in there and so on, its just a pain. I can't figure out a process that keeps that straight with zero failures so my x-die is there now as a final check and popping media from the flash hole. I size/decap with a lee die on a turret press, clean the brass of lube (sometimes), check it for length with the dillon gauge, trim it if needed, then run it through the 550 with an x-die in place. I need a better method, but it is what it is for now.

Edited by Vlad

• 2 weeks later...