Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about upgrading to a 650

I have both a 550 and a SQB. Use the SQB for 9mm only and the 550 and my T-7 for rifle (223/308/6.8) and 45 ACP

Thinking of going to a 650 with case feeder for 9mm and a once a year run of say 2k rds of 45 ACP.

Any real problems with a 650?

Up until this week never had an issue with my 550 or 650 that couldn't be fixed with a simple phone call to Dillon. See my post in this section. I'm sure Dillon will make this right but it sure isn't convenient to have to mail defective parts back to them on my dime and have to wait on them to decide if they will repair or replace it then wait on return shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Dillon is top notch, just not sure about their new no BS Warrantee.

Unless you need the primer swage, I see little benefit if any over the 650. Especially for only a few K rounds a year, I'd stick with a 550.

I have broken things on my 650...I send an email and within the week I have the new part mailed to my house. Never sent a part back, never had them not replace a part. I bought the 650 maintenance kit, and so I just take the part out of there, replace it, complete my work and the next day send the email to Dillon, so I have never even had my 650 down for more than 30 minutes at most. It sees a good 60K a year in 8 calibers.

Sounds like you load 9mm regularly and have an occasional need for 45ACP. The 650 is a great press for pumping out tons of 9mm. If you had the extra space and dollars I would just keep the SQB dedicated to 45ACP and jump to a 1050 dedicated to 9mm.

Sounds like you load 9mm regularly and have an occasional need for 45ACP. The 650 is a great press for pumping out tons of 9mm. If you had the extra space and dollars I would just keep the SQB dedicated to 45ACP and jump to a 1050 dedicated to 9mm.

+2

I'm keeping my 550 no matter what. Right now it has the large primer system on it, since I do all my case prep work for rifles on my T-7 and most of the time do my precision rifle loads on it to.

I have a 550, a dedicated square deal for 9mm and a T7...and a Forster Coax for rifle.

If you are in this deep what gain can you have going to the 650? You can purchase pre-processed 9mm brass at bargain prices these days and the square deal will do anything you want at a respectable pace. I load for .32, .38, 44, and 45 on the 550.

If you purchase a fully equipped 650 with the case feeder you are within striking distance of a 1050. I used to own a 1050 and plan to do so again.

My .02 worth is keep what you have and stock up on prepped 9mm brass or got all out for the 1050.

Kaskillo on this forum sells excellent processed 9mm brass. He is great guy to do business with and once you try prepped brass you may be spoiled.

If you go with the 1050 it is a wonderful tool for prepping large amounts of bulk brass on first.....and then you run a lot of quality loads quickly without slowing down to clear jams.

I thought long and hard before buying my 650. I just couldn't justify the cost of the 1050. I've had my 650 for 10-15 years now and wouldn't change a thing. I load for a bunch of different calibers. It only takes 15 minutes or so to change over. When I load, I load a bunch of that caliber at one time. So I'm not changing over a lot.