Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

good powders for 40 major?

3djedi

What are some good powders to look for to make 40 major with?

I'm fairly new and the only thing I've tried is CFE pistol with ok results....my supplier is getting a large shipment in next week and I would like some tips on powders to look for. He gets Hodgon's, IMR, and Alliant......

He said he may be getting some tightgroup

What he has now: bullseye, unique, IMR PB

Titegroup is a favorite for 40 Major, personally I love Clays (if I could get more I would never try anything else), I just bought some IMR 7625 to try which I expect to be OK, but not as soft as Clays.

Where's what I do: I keep the Hodgdon burn rate chart open in one tab, Enos on another and when I see a powder in the range I'm looking for, I search the forum and see what people have to say about it. If nothing comes up it's likely so bad no one wants to admit to even trying it :roflol:

CFE is pretty slow for a non compensated pistol. If you can get Bullseye, I would; Unique and PB should be OK, I've only tried Unique. For your purposes (and those brands) I would recommend Titegroup, Bullseye, or Clays. I like, 700X, but some people really don't; it's a flake powder (like Clays) so it can meter inconsistently in some reloaders.

I actually have 2 lbs of 700x. It was the first powder I bought when I bought my press. I tried to load 9mm with it but the powder drop was kind of inconsistent. I remember it shot pretty soft. Might work better with a larger powder drop in 40.

I actually have 2 lbs of 700x. It was the first powder I bought when I bought my press. I tried to load 9mm with it but the powder drop was kind of inconsistent. I remember it shot pretty soft. Might work better with a larger powder drop in 40.

:cheers:

Titegroup works great for .40 major with the 180s. I make it easily with 180 HAPs and 4.5grns. Also 3grns is a nice light shooting minor load with both 180s and 200s.

If you are loading to 1.185 or longer, the ones mentioned will work. If for Striker fired pistol or shorter length, like the normal 1.135, you need to go slower. WSF is the one I like for the shorter loads.

Edited by MarkCO

All I use is Clays or Clay Dot for 40 Major, loaded long to 1.20. Don't try to use Clays or Clay Dot within normal OAL specs for 40 S&W. I easily make 175 PF using just about any bullet. I prefer 180 gr. Bayou or BBI coated. SUPER soft shooting.

However, I have a ton of that powder and haven't had to buy any for a long time. Based on the list you have available, I'd go with Bullseye. IMO, Titegroup is just just way to harsh in the recoil department; same with CFE Pistol.... at least when you compare it to Clays. I suppose if you're used to it - it might be okay.

LGS in overland park KS.

Which one? I'm in OP

Edited by ZombieHunter

Wsf, makes major pretty easily with room to spare,

Yup. I started off loading .40 with the old Winchester Action Pistol at first, but when that was discontinued, I switched to WSF. I've shot a LOT of that behind the Bear Creek 180 TC bullets. I tested it out way back, even did heat and cold testing to see if that affected it, and so on. Best thing was how low my SD's were, single digits for test lots of 20 rounds. I've run WSF for both 180gr.for Limited and 140's for my Open gun, though it's not optimal for that. I'm going to try AutoComp for the 140s soon and see how that goes.

Clays if loading long 1.180 to 1.200

WST is real soft

Tite Group is quick if you like a fast cycle feel

WSF will work

I use Unique as a 180 practice load, cause I have a bunch of it, though it is accurate and comfortable to shoot

• 1 month later...

I just loaded up some 180 gr X-treme FMJ and 180 gr Black Bullets (40SW) with some Alliant BE-36. I had never heard of this powder but it is supposed to be good for 9mm & 40SW.

Alliant's website recommended 6.6 gr for 180 gr projectiles but I started with 5.9-6.0 gr. and 6.2-6.3 gr to test/chronograph. I am glad I didn't go any higher. I was getting an average of 985 fps & 1022 respectively. OAL was 1.19-1.20.

I calculate about 957 fps avg at 5.8 gr & that will make a PF of approximately 172.

I am pleased with the powder. It didn't seem smoky at all.

I haven't loaded any 9mm yet but I think it should do just fine.

Ymmv.

Edited by JMike

My calculations were a bit off but I ended up settling on 6.1 gr of the BE-86. PF 172-175 with X-treme 180 CP FMJ.

So far, I am really pleased with this load and the powder has been fairly easy to obtain locally.

Edited by JMike

I just loaded up some 180 gr X-treme FMJ and 180 gr Black Bullets (40SW) with some Alliant BE-36. I had never heard of this powder but it is supposed to be good for 9mm & 40SW.

Alliant's website recommended 6.6 gr for 180 gr projectiles but I started with 5.9-6.0 gr. and 6.2-6.3 gr to test/chronograph. I am glad I didn't go any higher. I was getting an average of 985 fps & 1022 respectively. OAL was 1.19-1.20.

I calculate about 957 fps avg at 5.8 gr & that will make a PF of approximately 172.

I am pleased with the powder. It didn't seem smoky at all.

I haven't loaded any 9mm yet but I think it should do just fine.

Ymmv.

Alliant gives max load. Ya have to back off and start. Good thing you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by grouptherapy