Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Loaded trigger?

kmca

I just picked up a new stainless steel Springfield Loaded Target. The slide is so tight, it felt like it had a 22 lb recoil spring. It even surprised the salesman who completed my pick up. Got it home, disassembled, cleaned and oiled it. The slide is very, very tight and "gritty". The trigger is also "gritty", a fair amount of take up and is about 6-1/2 to 7 lbs. I won't get a chance to shoot it till this weekend. My question is, should I go ahead and do a trigger job, or should I wait until I've done the "100-150 rounds break in"?

I just picked up a new stainless steel Springfield Loaded Target. The slide is so tight, it felt like it had a 22 lb recoil spring. It even surprised the salesman who completed my pick up. Got it home, disassembled, cleaned and oiled it. The slide is very, very tight and "gritty". The trigger is also "gritty", a fair amount of take up and is about 6-1/2 to 7 lbs. I won't get a chance to shoot it till this weekend. My question is, should I go ahead and do a trigger job, or should I wait until I've done the "100-150 rounds break in"?

Sounds about typical for a mass made gun. I would break it in before deciding how much work it needs to make it right.

Does it just feel gritty or does it also feel inconsistent? Mine fluctuated and we determined that the pins had a slight taper that allowed the parts to shift a bit. With new pins it became a consistent 3 lb 3 oz pull. It had had several hundred rounds through it by that time so shoot it a bit to get it broken in and then look at the trigger job and any other issues that still feel off. As to the slide, oil the hell out of it, the barrel, the linkage and any other part you can get it into and work the slide a couple of hundred times to see what can be smoothed out that way and what needs a bit of polishing to get smoothed out.

It feels gritty the whole way. I've been working the slide, so it seems to be loosening up a little. The trigger however, is varying between 6 to 7-1/2 lbs.

I ended up replacing the trigger, the hammer, and installing new pins along with the obligatory polishing and fitting. The pins were the only "Requirement" the rest was just putting in the style of hammer and trigger I prefer.

I've got a few other Springfields and none have been this bad :(

That really is the point...... when anybody asks why people will $1500 for a semi custom 1911 compared to a standard mass produced gun you can buy for $900. No consistency of fit/quality in the latter. If you get a good one, it's a great deal. If you don't, it's a fixer upper. Sounds like yours just needs a little work on the sear and some polishing, nothing serious. Edited by bountyhunter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah I just bought a new loaded. slide is hard to rack but that's mostly the hammer spring. 23lb. you can feel it moves nicely then as it starts to push the hammer it gets super heavy.

trigger however is very crisp. not gritty at all. it's heavy at around 5lb but very nice.

Throw away most of the internal parts. My Range Officer has a 1 1/4# trigger. I could have made the stock hammer work, but had a nice SS hammer in my parts drawer. The only thing left original is the disconnector and trigger. Surprisingly the hammer and sear pins were a tight fit. I wonder if SA has figured out SS parts. My Kimbers have slides that feel like the run on ball bearings.

This is much better than tooth paste http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/abrasives/lapping-compounds/lapping-compounds-prod1137.aspx

Edited by Joe D

I replaced the mainspring, recoil spring, sear sring and trigger, to one I prefer. Stoned the hammer and sear and worked the slide a little more. The trigger is a crisp 3 lbs, which is what I prefer. I thought about sending it back to Springfield (I've done it with others) but I figured I could do it faster myself and end up with exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for all the replies.

• 2 months later...