Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 inconsistent?

SilverBolt

I have been experimenting with different powders. My current supply of Bullseye is just about gone. I need a consistent soft recoiling 9mm minor load. I just tried 3.2gr of N320 behind a 147gr MG CMJ bullet. My 10 shot string ranged from 815 fps to 974 fps. Shot a second 10 shot string that ran 815-947. Each load was hand weighed and cross checked on two scales. Most of my loads run about +/- 30 fps max. Anyone else experience this with N320?

I have been experimenting with different powders. My current supply of Bullseye is just about gone. I need a consistent soft recoiling 9mm minor load. I just tried 3.2gr of N320 behind a 147gr MG CMJ bullet. My 10 shot string ranged from 815 fps to 974 fps. Shot a second 10 shot string that ran 815-947. Each load was hand weighed and cross checked on two scales. Most of my loads run about +/- 30 fps max. Anyone else experience this with N320?

My results with N320 are similar, wide extreme spreads at lower charge weights. When the weight got higher spreads closed up...

Are you using the same headstamp brass? Case volume may vary based on brand.

I have seen the best extreme spreads and standard deviations from N320 com paired to all other powders I have tested. Extreme spread is generally ~20fps and the best standard deviation I ever got was a 2fps. If I could keep N320 in stock I would switch completely an never use anything else. 147 BBI 1.135" @ 3.2gr N320