Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom CZ pistol from Automatic Accuracy question

MissionaryMike

Hey gang. I'm fairly new to firearms and very new to competition/practical shooting. I've been searching the net for weeks for consistent and solid recommendations for a good starting point, and I've landed on the CZ SP-01 Custom Shadow or SP-01 Custom Shadow Target. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the differences between those 2 variants is just the rear sight, right? I've done so much reading in the last couple weeks, that I think I'm more confused about the CZ variants than before I even started. Anyway, so I've read that the gun is solid, but people don't much appreciate the stock trigger job. Hence, the CZ Custom shop and its work is a major factor in getting one of these guns competition ready.

My question, though not necessarily asking for a comparison, is in regards to what Matt Mink and Automatic Accuracy do to the SP-01 Shadow/Shadow Target that warrants the extra expense over the CZ Custom Shop. Does Automatic Accuracy get their guns from the Custom Shop and just "redo" or "look over" the custom work that's already been done to ensure quality control, or do they actually get guns from CZ-USA and completely do their own internal job?

I've read nothing but absolutely wonderful things about Matt Mink and the comp pistols that come out of his shop, but as a novice, I'd just like to know what I'm paying for?

And the reason I ask is b/c AA is out of stock of SP-01 Shadow Targets (#91159), but I see a few on gunbroker.com. If I purchase one of these guns through the auction site, would it be worth it, or even necessary to send it to Matt to rework anything, considering that all Shadow Targets are already worked on by the Custom Shop (right?)?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by MissionaryMike

Both the Shadow Custom and Shadow Custom Target are great guns. Only real difference should be the adjustable rear on the Target. I prefer it but most who shoot at the higher levels of competition seem to like fixed or the HAJO.

When I got my Target from CZC I paid a bit extra to have them to some additional trigger work done beyond what might be typical. I have been very happy with the results but I have also being going back through the gun to polish other parts that have further improved the trigger, especially the smoothness of the DA. I talked to Matt back in 2012 about his trigger work and tried his trigger and it was slightly better than mine. He seemed to indicate that AA puts a bit more time into the trigger jobs and I have heard that they are very good. One thing to consider is that depending on the year produced your Target may not have the Short Reset Trigger system in it or an extended firing pin. Both are highly recommended and are mods that you can do your self but AA, CZC, or CGW would likely do the Short Reset install and other trigger work better. There are a lot of good guides here and elsewhere about DIY trigger work depending on how comfortable you are with that sort of thing. I imagine additional trigger work would reduce a couple of pounds off of the DA and at least a pound off of the SA but someone who knows better could chime in.

Thanks for taking the time to clearly explain all that, Alma. When choosing the rear sights, I guess it comes down to personal preference, like I've read so many times already on the forums here. Any particular reasons why the the higher class shooters prefer the fixed or hajo sights over the fully adjustable ones, like noticeably faster sight acquisition, aesthetics, etc? I'm not sure I'd know the difference anyway, seeing as I'm just a newbie. I don't know if the issue over the rear sight should prevent me from waiting an unknown amount of time to purchase straight from AA, or just bid on one from the auction site and deal with the adjustable sight, even if I end up preferring a different type as I gain more experience.

I think get one wherever you can find it now and send it in for work later or alternatively get into the long line.

The fear is that fully adjustable sights will get knocked off sight. It isn't a problem that I have experienced and I really like the simplicity of easily adjusting that gun for different loads without having to change the height of my front sight. I honestly don't know why they aren't more popular.

I got my Shadow from CZC, and 2 of my shooting friends got theirs from Automatic.

They guns are very close, my trigger break is a little lighter, but their trigger break is a little more crisp. Not sure if it is how they polish it or what, but they are so close its hard to tell. Both great guns, both great places to buy from!

Also my gun came with the Hajo sight and they have fixed sights on their guns. Totally a preference thing. In fact I ended up modifying my Hajo and filing off the sharp corners to a bevel because it was eating my right forearm when the gun was holstered.

As Alma commented, get one where you can, especially if it is from one of these two places they are both great from my experiences.

I think get one wherever you can find it now and send it in for work later or alternatively get into the long line.

The fear is that fully adjustable sights will get knocked off sight. It isn't a problem that I have experienced and I really like the simplicity of easily adjusting that gun for different loads without having to change the height of my front sight. I honestly don't know why they aren't more popular.

Fixed sights are more durable, but harder to adjust for different ammo since you replace the front sight.

Adjustable sights are easier to adjust but more likely to break. I've seen broken adjustable on a shadow target and multiple broken bowmar sights on 1911/2011's.

If you are shooting the same load all the time fixed is the way to go.

If you change loads a lot then you want adjustable sights.

Last thing to think about, it seems that there are more options for rear sight notch depth and width on fixed sights than there are on adjustable.

I'm new to CZ's so this may all not apply to CZs specifically.

the fixed vs adjustable thing is purely about reliability. I've had 2 sets of LPA adjustable sights break on my CZ. and one broke in a subtle way that had me shoot half a match getting lots of mikes till I figured out it wasn't me. part of the windage adjustment screw had broken inside the rear blade which mean it could move about 4 or 5mm was not easy to spot. I now have fixed sights on both my CZ's.

it is a bit more hassle when you're working up a load, but really once you get a load sorted that works you should stop fiddling with it, get a set of fixed sights that put the POI where you want it and then leave it alone! once the load is sorted there's no benefit of having adjustable sights on there.

just check when you're buying on gunbroker, I thought there is a difference between a CZ Shadow Target (just a basic shadow with adjustable sights from the CZ factory) and a CZ Shadow Custom Target (custom shop gun that started as a shadow target but has now had some work done). I could be wrong, but for your own sake just double check that you're getting what you think you're getting. :)

I honestly am not sure whether it's more durable than the stock but I trust Dawson more than any generic LPA. I think mine had KenSights on it stock.

The Target and the TS have LPA cuts so any LPA cut sight should work in theory.

Anyone know what Dawson front sight matches up with the Hajo rear? (Height wise) I'd like to go to a .100 or .95 front but want to make sure I have the right height.

I guess I'm asking what is the CZC front sight? The Hajo is adjustable up and down of course but if I can match up to the stock front then it should be easier.

Anyone know what Dawson front sight matches up with the Hajo rear? (Height wise) I'd like to go to a .100 or .95 front but want to make sure I have the right height.

I guess I'm asking what is the CZC front sight? The Hajo is adjustable up and down of course but if I can match up to the stock front then it should be easier.

Says 7,5mm front

http://czcustom.com/czshadowcomprearhajo.aspx

Measure your sight from where it comes out of the slide. The HAJO looks pretty tall and a straight conversion would call for a .295 inch sight. It looked like the tallest one Dawson sells is a .275 but maybe that will be close enough with your adjustment option.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same question. Is there a difference between the Automatic Accuracy SP-01 Shadow vs the CZ Custom SP-01 Shadow?

There's a $200 price difference and they seem to be installing the same parts into the gun and doing the same kind of work. I'm wondering if it's worth the $200 price difference.

I had an AA SP01 Shadow and it was great. To me, well worth the $1,500. AA has also built me up a 75B in SAO to use as a dedicated ESP gun in idpa. Again you can really see where they polish and fit things on the inside. The trigger is where they do seem to shine. Crisp, consistent.

I still wish I had that SP01 from them..............

I had an AA SP01 Shadow and it was great. To me, well worth the $1,500. AA has also built me up a 75B in SAO to use as a dedicated ESP gun in idpa. Again you can really see where they polish and fit things on the inside. The trigger is where they do seem to shine. Crisp, consistent.

I still wish I had that SP01 from them..............

But you like your short dustcover light CZs!

I have the same question. Is there a difference between the Automatic Accuracy SP-01 Shadow vs the CZ Custom SP-01 Shadow?

There's a $200 price difference and they seem to be installing the same parts into the gun and doing the same kind of work. I'm wondering if it's worth the $200 price difference.

Yes, one is worked over by the custom shop and one is worked over by Mink at AA. Slightly different things done....

Yes it's worth the price difference.... To me.

Both places do great work but there are differences.

OH I do like the regular dust cover models as well. But the side of me that likes just having stuff wishes I had the pistol back as it's just not easy to replace.

Oh, and this seems to be true of any gun getting built for your, not just from AA, but if the guy tells you "X" amount of weeks, double it before you start bugging them about where your gun is.