Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

just got a new CZ SP-01, looking to get set up for USPSA

rukwikenuf

ok, I'm getting serious about my USPSA shooting now, and i need some advice on equipment.

currently i'm running a SIG 1911 in Single Stack, but i want to shoot production (so i can actually compete with my friends) and i need gear. right now i've got a Galco Instructor's belt with 2 double mag pouches and a cheapo holster that came with the SIG.

with this new pistol i'm thinking i need a better setup. i like the DOH holster on the CZ Custom website, but what kind of belt should i get? and maybe mag carriers too?

thanks for the advice

-Erik

oh, i'll need more magazines too. any preferred brand? should i stick with factory CZ magazines?

Belt, holster, and magazine pouches: cry once.

I personally run the DAA Racemaster, but the Ghosts are fine.

Main thing on magazines is to get the +10% springs, which improve feed reliability tremendously and prevent rounds from popping out when they're dropped. If you shoot indoors a lot, you may want to stick with the 16-round magazines and get rubber base pads.

I've had zero problems with the CZ 18-round magazines after upgrading the springs.

Edited by Andreas

If you're going to shoot production stay away from the Mec-Gar 18 rounders. They look similar to the CZ Mags, but they are just big enough to not fit in the box and will cause you to be bumped to open. I was always partial to the CZ 18 rounders. I liked the base pads. The MecGar 16 rounders are nice, but after pinching the skin on my palm on a reload ( to the point i had to eject the mag to get it out ) I stopped using them. That was a personal preference thought. The mags themselves are great. Check out www.gregcotellc.com for mags, usually has what you need and the best price.

+1 on the +10% mags. You'll know when you need them when you start leaving bullets like bread crumbs on the ground. Be careful with the +10% though, give them a good workout before you shoot a major match. They can cause the slide to not go into battery all the way. Happened to me at FL Open two years ago. Minor issue during practice or your local, absolute nightmare if it happens at a major.

Holster - Ghost Stinger, Blade Tech DOH are both very good. Belt = either DAA, CR Speed. Just know the DAA is a B*tch some times to get things on it. It's made that way on purpose, so if you get it, just know it will be hard to get the equipment on it. But once it's on, it's awesome, they don't move around at all.

Mag pouches, I like the DAA Racers. The Racemasters are nice, but they're expensive and HEAVY. 4 or 5 of them on your belt is heavy. The racers are essentially the same design, but plastic. I had the Racemasters and sold them to switch to the Racers, haven't regretted it once.

Start collecting extra parts. Springs, ( recoil, Main, Trigger Return are the biggies ), Slide Stop, you will eventually break one at the worst time, have a back up ready.

If you don't know about it, this forum ( http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php ) has TONS of information on it. They are CZ Nuthuggers to the extreme, if you have an issue/problem/question and you post it over there, you'll likely have an answer before you know. Some of us here are on that site as well. I'm GJA7 over there, but since I started shooting a Tanfo Stock 2 i am not on the site as much anymore.

Good luck.

Buy the Ghost Stinger holster and the Ghost mag pouches from Shooters Connection. Sign up on BENOS and get their discount. Use the Mecgar 17 round AFC mags. They are just $25 each from Greg Cote LLC and 6.95 shipping.

Here is mine. The Ghost Stinger is very nice. If you do the Blade Tech then get Stoeger's hanger for it. I think he sells some good packages at his pro shop.

post-5345-0-51723600-1405211861.jpg

Edited by alma

thanks gents. i'll be picking parts out one at a time to save some cash, but i've already ordered the holster!

for the belt, should i go 1-2 sizes large?

I go 2" larger.

Bladetech DOH, DAA racer pouches and DAA or CR Speed belt. For mags, I used to use only CZ 19 rounders but after trying the 16 round Mecgar AFC mags I find that I just leave the CZ mags in the safe. The CZ springs I replace after a year with +10% from Wolfe. The Mecgars I've been running the factory mag springs so far with no issues. Probably put +10's in after I've used them up.

you mean these?

and did you build them up at all or just use one layer of grip tape?

These ones http://czcustom.com/cz_75-thick-grips.aspx

Right now I am just putting a full piece of grip tape over the smaller section of grip tape on my left side to improve my weakhand traction. The right side just has the original smaller section of grip tape at that makes it a bit easier to shift my strong hand grip if I don't get it exactly right. If I had it to do over I might try the aggressive thick aluminum grips from CZC but with out additional grip tape on the standard CZC aluminum grips my weakhand just slides all over the place.

Edited by alma

thx. What kind of grip tape are you using?

Black Diamond Grip Tape. $8.50 with free shipping from Amazon for a longboard sized sheet that will likely last you for many, many years. It comes in a lot of colors and patterns as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Longboard-Grip-Sheet/dp/B0013T1NZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405296431&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+grip+tape

Here's my setup:

CZ Accu Shadow

Blade-tech DOH

Mec-Gar 17rd mags

CR Speed belt and mag pouches

i-cNGsjrB-L.jpg

^ This but I got rid of the DOH hanger from the holster, and I run the ready tactical mag pouches for now since I am shooting USPSA and IDPA. Looking to switch to the Ghost bullets out pouches though.

And the Mec-gar 17rd mags are the best I have used. I sold my factory mags and replaced them with the mec-gars.

My 2 cents. Love CR Speed belts. Double Alpha may be as good.

I use a Blade Tech DOH, and it works fine. No issues in 7 years. Only issue is kydex will wear the finish. Don't think the Double Alpha Speed Rig is legal for Production (the holster does not cover the slide to 1/2" of ejection port). DAA PDR PRO appears to be legal; no first or second hand knowledge on it. DAA PDR Low-Ride may be good, but read the reviews on DAA site. There maybe issues. No first or second hand knowledge on that holster either.

Owned Ghost holsters in the past, but never a production holster and like them. Seemed to be good quality.

Lots of good mags holders out there. Personal preference and cost will determine what is best for you.

Welcome to Production!

I'm with CZinSC, I have had racemasters and they are very nice, but very $$ and heavy once you have 5 on the belt.

my current favourite is the DAA racer pouches (super versitile, can be mounted bullets out or normal, can rotate, different heights, super easy to change inserts, can add a magnet easily etc).

my second fav for mag pouches are CR speed, super tough, nice smooth draw etc.

third would be the racemasters. great pouch, but the value isn't as good as racers or Cr speed.

for belts my fav is the CR speed Deluxe hi-torque. to me it combines the best points of both the DAA and the CR speed hi-torque. the CR speed regular hi-torque is second and the DAA third place for me. yes I have all 3.

holsters, I shoot IPSC so use a race holster even in producton, but it seems the ghost stinger or bladetech are the best option. and not much between the two.

good advice on spares. for a match kit I'd suggest:

at least 1 or 2 complete spare mags in cause you have a failure.

spare slide stop (I keep 2 and use on as a practice stop and one for matches only)

spare guiderode (plastic one makes a cheap spare)

spare recoil springs

spare main springs

spare firing pin and spring

spare fibre for your front sight (assuming fibre optic front)

spare grip screws

some spare gripe tape for front and back strap

squib rod

basic cleaning kit (even just a bore snake and a small bottle of oil)

anything beyond that is not really fixable at a match.

enjoy. :)