Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec tunning?

DrLove

guys, just bought one of those Aftec extractors and seem to have an FTE every 20-30 rounds with the new extractor. Do you actually tune those in anyway or just let it break in? Sorry, new to this :)

I run the standard extractors, but I thought the point of the AFTEC was that the spring loaded design meant the thing didn't need tuning.

Is the extractor hook square and sharp?

yup, looks good but I head a couple of FTEs so I don't know if it just needs to be broken in or what...

If its not working now, it's probably not going to get any better.

How tightly fit is the aftec with the firing pin stop? There should be a little wiggle room for the aftec to 'clock' / rotate per the directions that come with it.

Also, some have success using just one of the springs instead of both. You might try it with one in the first hole and if that doesn't work, try the second hole.

I have aftecs in evey pistol I have. Some were fit by the smith and I've fit several myself. No issues with any of them.

Edited by al503

In my experience Aftecs are not drop in parts.

If you are having failure to extract issues I'd ensure that the Aftec was pivoting freely on the firing pin stop as al503 mentioned. It has to be able to freely pivot to get full engagement on the case rim/extractor groove. Should probably look at the spring cup to make sure it is in good shape (not bent or broken). Also, might want to try a fresh set of springs (they are cheap).

If you have having issues with the slide not going fully into battery on occasion then removing one spring or cutting 1/2 coil off each spring seems to work.

If all else fails take the Aftec out and try using a standard extractor.

When I first got my open gun from FGW, Bobby had set it up with 1 spring in the front slot. He instructed me to run the gun for a while before installing the second spring. I went about 3-4K rounds until the hook slipped off the rim of a case. I moved the broken-in spring to the back, and installed a new (but compressed with pliers) spring in the front and haven't had another malfunction since

AFTEC has to be fit to the fringing pin stop by beveling edges if firing pin stop where it contacts the extractor's slot. Also, some people round the bottom sharp corner slightly, and polish, but I think this might void warranty. I usually slightly "compress" both springs in a pair of pliers to take some of the weight off and run both springs. Some people run one spring.

They do take tuning.

I started to install mine and had a couple questions as well. How much do you bevel the edge on the FP stop. It seems to move enough.

Also, my spring clip is super tight. It doesn't move freely on the extractor at all. Should I file the extractor some to loosen the fit up? But then I that may void the warranty. Thoughts?

Thanks

I am running one spring in the rear on mine, No issues so far.

I did polish the spring clip and the area it slides on to allow it to slide/move freely.