Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage of Frame Mounted Red Dot vs Slide Mounted

Shotz

Looking at putting a red dot on my Glock for SC.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of....

C-More - Frame Mounted vs. DeltaPoint/FF3/RMR/Etc. mounted to the dovetail.

Initially I like the idea of a dovetail mount because I would not need a new holster, but I think I would track a frame mount quicker shot-to-shot.

Let me know your thoughts!

As Jack mentioned, the more banging the slide mounted dot takes, the more of a chance the dot point of aim could change. With the frame mounted C-More you can easily change the dot size by plugging in another one.

I'm wanting to know the competitive advantages of each set up.

When I shoot the frame mounted dot I never lose the dot, its very easy to track.

When I shoot the slide mounted dot I lose it every shot, I anticipate where its going to appear again, but there is a short period where I lose it.

Just put your gun up as is at a target, look at the target, see how easy it is to track your front sight. if you are losing it while its in motion, thats the same effect you are going to have with the slide mounted dot.

Thanks Xhris.

That is kind of what I was thinking. I like the idea of it mounted in the dovetail but I didn't know if it would make tracking it from shot to shot harder than mounted on the frame.

As Jack mentioned, the more banging the slide mounted dot takes, the more of a chance the dot point of aim could change. With the frame mounted C-More you can easily change the dot size by plugging in another one.

You DO realize that the C-More Slide Ride, (that we all use for frame-mounted setups), was originally designed to be mounted to the slide of a Glock, right? That's WHY it's called the "Slide Ride."

You DO realize that the C-More Slide Ride, (that we all use for frame-mounted setups), was originally designed to be mounted to the slide of a Glock, right? That's WHY it's called the "Slide Ride."

Hard to imagine a standard C-more mounted on a Glock slide. Interesting.

I use an RMR. As other have mentioned you lose the dot during recoil as the sight is moving. Another consideration is the smaller glass size of an RMR / Deltapoint vs a C More - can make requiring the dot that much harder.

Plan to move to a CMore after this summer and put the RMR back on the ACOG where it belongs.

Anybody have a recommendation for a frame mount for a Glock that does not require the ejection port to be lowered?

I have a carver mount on a G22 and G35 and did not require any mods to the ejection port on either.

Hard to imagine a standard C-more mounted on a Glock slide. Interesting.

Ask, and you shall receive.

2010-IPSC-Gropen-Open-13.jpg

Its easy to understand why this never took off..

Edited by Rick88

I'm wanting to know the competitive advantages of each set up.

When I shoot the frame mounted dot I never lose the dot, its very easy to track.

When I shoot the slide mounted dot I lose it every shot, I anticipate where its going to appear again, but there is a short period where I lose it.

Just put your gun up as is at a target, look at the target, see how easy it is to track your front sight. if you are losing it while its in motion, thats the same effect you are going to have with the slide mounted dot.

My experience, exactly :cheers:

I ran a Burris FFIII on a G22 for well over 15K rounds and never had any issues with recoil abuse on the slide or mount. You just Locktite the mount in the dovetail and it will be there until you remove it. I never lost zero either. I have since moved on to Carver frame mounts for my FFIIIs but I don't notice any advantage of speed verses dot reacquisition on either style of mounts. The Carver mounts don't effect brass ejection. The only negative about frame mounts is you are extremely limited to holsters. I run a Carver modified CR Speed holster on my G35 and it works fine.

the things to consider with frame vs dovetail is this:

dovetail mount add weight to your slide. ideally you want to be lowering the slide weight not adding to it. this has a negative impact on muzzle lift.

obviously on the slide it takes more of a beating, but plenty of RDS are engineered to handle it and will last a long time.

frame mount obviously can be a hassle with holsters. it also adds more weight overall to the gun, but none of it is on the moving components. with a frame mount (except for a sideways mount) the dot will not be as close to the bore as it would be in a dovetail.

I think on balance most decide frame mount is the better way to go for a competition gun.