Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After the trigger, what's the best way to improve accuracy?

3djedi

Would an aftermarket barrel be any better than a stock gen 4 barrel? Seems like most of the slop is in the slide to rail fit anyway........

are there other improvements to be made?

If your Gen 4 Glock has a tight lockup as most do there is not much room for improvement. If the barrel does not lockup tight try a Graham slide lock or ship it to Bill Springfield.

hand fit barsto barrel, brand new locking lug. where the barrel hits the hood and the block is going to determine your potential mechanical accuracy more than slide to frame.

and sights for sure, beacuse even with the best potential accuracy the gun is almost worthless (hyperbole but how i feel) with those stock sights.

The best mechanical change IMO is to install a good set of adjustable sights. Sounds like you want to hit small targets at longer range, so I'd suggest Dawson Precision fiber optics, both front and rear. These sights will dial you in.

On a serious note, what is your current group size when benched at 25 yards? And what do you want it to be? Measurements in inches preferred please. Group size at least 5 rounds, 10 is better.

Well the gun is probably already capable of 3 inches at 25 yards benched. Have you tried a thin front sight and tight rear notch combo? Less play in your sight picture, and a new trigger unit will get your there quick. The adjustables for poa / poi and go focus on speed because that's good enough accuracy for any USPSA IDPA or 3 gun shooting that you'll run across. Not to say its not good to pursue higher accuracy, but how much time are you putting into that as opposed to the rest of your game? (Just food for thought.)

I've also heard KKM barrels are good but I haven't tried them. I'm happy with the factory barrel.

I used several KKM barrels on Gen 3 Glocks. They were accurate and had no issues. Most Gen 4 Glocks lock up tight.

I sent a Gen 4 G19 to a gunsmith who accurized another Glock for me and he sent the Gen 4 G19 back telling me the lock up was about as good as it could be and required no work.

I purchased an aftermarket barrel from someone that builds quality pistols and the lock up is not as good as the OEM Gen 4 barrel. It is comparable to the lock up on a Gen 3 Glock. The new barrel has been issue free as well. I have not gotten around to asking a really good shooter to shoot groups with both barrels.

hand fit barsto barrel, brand new locking lug. where the barrel hits the hood and the block is going to determine your potential mechanical accuracy more than slide to frame.

and sights for sure, beacuse even with the best potential accuracy the gun is almost worthless (hyperbole but how i feel) with those stock sights.

This. Every Glock I've ever shot that had a properly fitted Barsto tube was capable of shooting groups just over an inch in size at 25 yards......

The very best was their 6 inch top end for the Glock 21 -- in addition to consisting of their barrel, they also provided a slide, and all internals, and they tweaked all of it.....

I don't know if they still make it, but if you ever have a chance to try it, don't pass it up....

I saw a sub 2" 5 shot group from a Gen 4 G17 and a Gen 3 G34 with the OEM barrels. Five groups of five rounds each were shot from each pistol by a talented shooter from a rest at 25 yards. Each group was shot with different ammunition and the sub 2" group was shot with 124+P HST in both pistols.