Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal IDPA holsters

kevin c

Well, I'll be shooting this weekend's IDPA match with my LDA, since the only holster I have for my brand spanking new G35 is now illegal (an Uncle Mike's). <_<

What do you all use that is good and not too expensive?

Thought the fobus "roto-tilt" model was banned by IDPA. Is the regular Fobus still allowed? How about the paddle?

I sure haven't looked into the new IDPA rules much...

But, I thought I saw where the new wording mentioned that the holster "couldn't be adjusted while being worn"?

I think that would allow the Roto-Fobus back in?

Kevin, if you see me at Richmond next weekend, I'll have the new Hellwig holster for the G34/5 - you can try it out then...My better half just got her G34 a couple of days ago and I've got a G35 coming in 18 more days...

mike sousa

Thought the fobus "roto-tilt" model was banned by IDPA. Is the regular Fobus still allowed? How about the paddle?

I sure haven't looked into the new IDPA rules much...

But, I thought I saw where the new wording mentioned that the holster "couldn't be adjusted while being worn"?

I think that would allow the Roto-Fobus back in?

No, the Roto-Fobus is still illegal. Quote from the new rulebook's holster section:

"D. Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear

cant, but have no adjustable cant backpieces."

One word:

Fobus.

Sorry Gary, that's two words, NOT Fobus. As I'm sure you know, the roto-holster has never been allowed, and the standard ones that I have don't make the rule about seeing daylight between the outside of the backpiece and the inside of the holster. (Section F, page 30 of the "LDB"-little dumb book.)

This just in....(insert teletype noise here)

From Bill Wilson...Straight off the IDPA website,

Adjustable backpieces.

Those that allow the cant to be adjusted by the shooter while the holster is on the belt are not allowed. Those that are adjustable by removing bolts and repositioning the backpiece are allowed. This correction has been made to the rule book.

The ¾" measurement referenced in the new holster rules is taken from the body to the portion of the weapon closest to the body.

I've been using the Blade-Tech Kydex holster for years. It has a superb fit and allows for a very fast presentation. It's moderately priced ($45-$55). It's interesting to note that Bill Wilson doesn't manufacture or sell this particular holster and yet it's still legal for IDPA.

:D

rmills,

You can see daylight in the belt tunnel all day long on my buddy's BT. Therefore it is not legal. Maybe someone should point out that if it is a kydex paddle type holster, there is no way to tell if it is legal until the owner tries it with their pants and their belt.

Anyway my point that with the belt tunnel req. the holster problem has multiplied. The holster rules would be just as effective without the belt tunnel req but keep the 3/4 inch rule.

Craig

The rulebook specifies the Safariland 5183 Model, however, this model is now obsolete and does not offer a Glock 34 or 35 fit. However, it has been replaced by the Safariland 5186 and sells for just under $60, and is available for the Glock 34 or 35.

Still not too happy about not being able to use my Sooper Hooper, really, no competative advantage is created by straping one of these onto my body.

I also shoot the kytac super hooper and it sure better be legal because if they toss me from a match because of it I will just go and shoot uspa.. the super hooper holds the pistol VERY tight against my body, which depends on YOUR body type so the 3/4 inch thing is not a good messure of a holster.. you can see light through the belt tunnel, but some pad or velcro should fix that. the rules now say that mods are OK, so that should take care of it.. I also have blade tech paddle holsters..

The rules specifically state that the mods (pads velcro etc.) cannot be used to simply take up space in the belt tunnel. The Super Hooper along with most other Kydex paddle holsters by design will become illegal unless the "light in the tunnel rule" is changed. As you stated the holster complies to the function portion of the eq. rule by keeping the gun tucked close. IMO why should the belt tunnel matter then. However IDPA is not seeing it that way. Hopefully that will change.

Craig