Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Installation for Witness Match

I just finished installing my new Canyon Creek magwell on my Match and thought I would share some photos. Rich shipped this thing out FAST... ordered on Friday, came in on Monday, installed on Monday night! :goof:

Initial fitting and blending with my amateur gunsmithing skills (or lack of)...

post-49787-0-56895500-1403062014_thumb.j

post-49787-0-24662000-1403062022_thumb.j

Edited by BrazeauRacing

I cut some matching grooves on the inside of the magwell and on the outside of the frame that line up when the magwell is in place to give the epoxy a small pocket for a better hold (hopefully)...

post-49787-0-26531900-1403062156_thumb.j

post-49787-0-16965800-1403062167_thumb.j

Edited by BrazeauRacing

After the epoxy was set, I modified the factory plastic grips (previously sanded smooth and stippled with a soldering gun) to fit the angle of the magwell by under cutting them from behind rather than just cutting them off short...

post-49787-0-94000400-1403062290_thumb.j

post-49787-0-16341500-1403062301_thumb.j

post-49787-0-19707700-1403062311_thumb.j

Edited by BrazeauRacing

I think the grips turned out really good with the magwell, but I then realized that my brand new Stoeger base pads won't fit with the magwell (rookie mistake). :( I guess I'll need to sell them and get some extended base pads.

Any recommendations on extended base pads? I'm leaning towards the Henning H141 base pads, but I'm open to other options.

post-49787-0-54896400-1403062441_thumb.j

Edited by BrazeauRacing

Chuck

Sorry to hear about the base pads not fitting. Sounds like every project I have ever tried myself.

See you in August.

Yep... one mod requires another, and then another... never ends. Kinda glad we're not shooting again until August so I can get the base pad situation worked out.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I just picked up a couple of H-141 bases from Jim @ ShooterReady.biz (it's convenient living in the same city as him). Unfortunately, I will need to cut a groove into the magwell to clear the rear spine on these base pads (I'll do that tonight and post pics).

@ madworx - I love the stippled factory grips on the gun. Like you, I didn't care for the unmodified plastic grips, so I purchased a set of the Tanfoglio checkered walnut grips for it. They look much nicer than the plastic grips, but they aren't very grippy. The stippled factory grips feel almost as grippy as the grip tape I've put on the front strap. Very happy with them now.

Edited by BrazeauRacing

That's going to be a great gun and you're going to love it. I've got one and I like it as much or better than the Tanfoglio Limited.

I've always been a little iffy about this gun and have been really wanting to upgrade to a Limited, but after dry fire practicing with the magwell installed I am in love with it now. :D

• 7 months later...

I really like the work you did with the magwell. It seems to have come together very nicely. The grips really make it flow together.

I am thinking of getting a Canyon Creek magwell and tig welding it on at our shop. Do you think that there is room to hide the welds under the grips?

I am trying to avoid having to weld inside the magwell if I can just to make it easier to work.

Absolutely! I'm not sure how fast you would see any type of rust or corrosion without refinishing it, but if you were to undercut some grips to cover the welds (only done on the sides), then it would be hidden nicely. I've since acquired some Henning full length grips for my Match, and think it looks better.

eaaWM_02.jpg

That does look pretty sweet. The silver ties it together nicely.

Did you put grip tape on the front of the grip?

Also what fiber sight did you put on the front? I have been trying to figure out what height to go with for that.

Did you put grip tape on the front of the grip?

Also what fiber sight did you put on the front? I have been trying to figure out what height to go with for that.

Yes, grey grip tape on the front and on the back straps. Details are in this post: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199234&p=2302812

The front sight on all three of my Tanfoglios are 0.105" wide and 0.180" tall. Two are Dawson (with factory rear supersights), and one is Henning (matched with his fixed rear sight).