Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New H CFE PISTOL POWDER

Baer45

I have bought CFE Pistol Powder with great hopes as if it keeps copper down those of us who shoot plated/jacketed bullets indoors are going come out way ahead on clean up and accuracy. I've tried it and 45acp with 200 gr SWC with excellent accuracy. The problem is as a slower powder it pushes the velocity way up over 1,000 fps vs 850. Meters great, clean and not loud are my immediate impressions..did not notice any flash...

My thought is, other then full power loads in 45 it might make a great powder for 9mm or 38Super minor and maybe major...the few 9mm I have done shoot great but I have yet to get the accuracy I chase...I shoot full size 1911s and Glocks with match barrel...

ANYONE USED IT ENOUGH TO SHARE YOUR OPINION OR LOAD PLATED BULLETS COMBOS THAT Showed good accuracy???? .....I always shoot for 2.5 at 25yds as acceptable for range practice....

Edited by Baer45

I bought a pound of it today as it was the only pistol powder that my local reloading store had. I will be reloading 9mm for IDPA. From the data I have seen it should be easy to make 125 power factor. i look forward to trying and will post results when I do.

I've got some on the way I'll post some group sizes, and FPS. I'll be loading 124 HP and 124 RN Lead. Looking for at least 130 PF and sub 2" groups at 25 yards.

I hope to see what you guys come up with.

Edited by phidelt208

Have you attempted to cut the powder charge slightly and see if you can drop the velocity somewhat ???

I have cut it to the minimum amount and loaded the COL longer then the minimum recommended and it is

still like shooting230 gr range ball ammo...

Since my initial post I have tried several different load amounts with MG 115rn and found better accuracy slightly above the minimum recommended ....I think with a little more tweekting I can get sub 2" groups...kind of excited...got to be great in 38Super....

Traveling right now and don't have detailed data with me; but initial testing with 147g Zero JHP has shown very good accuracy out of G17G4 with stock barrel. 3.9g @ 1.120 OAL yielded 130PF. Developing for GSSF competiton.

Have to say metering is excellent through the XL650!

HR

What is "very good accuracy" ?

Thanks in advance for the load and data so far.

Depends on what you are loading for......what kind of bullets, etc. Some people don't mind 3-4 inches at 25 if their guns acts "right" and they are Shooting steel whereas a Bullseye Shooter wants an inch.....

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

@rtp... Your results seem strange in that when you added .2grn of the stuff using the same bullet and OAL your ES and SD figures soared. This is non-intuitive, as most often with a medium burning powder it requires more pressure to make them smooth out and burn consistently. It makes it seem as though CFE is really bordering on a fast burning powder type rather than a medium burner it is touted as.

I look forward to more chrono tests from the members to determine just what is happening here.

@rtp... Your results seem strange in that when you added .2grn of the stuff using the same bullet and OAL your ES and SD figures soared. This is non-intuitive, as most often with a medium burning powder it requires more pressure to make them smooth out and burn consistently. It makes it seem as though CFE is really bordering on a fast burning powder type rather than a medium burner it is touted as.

I look forward to more chrono tests from the members to determine just what is happening here.

Don't know what to say here, as ES and SD do indeed seem to have gone up in both (projectile) loadings w/increased charge. I'll throw a note in back to re-test at some point in the future once I get some more TG testing done.

RE: powder speed, right now, I'm believing their burn rate position, as it takes a bit more powder vs WSF to reach the same velocity.

Depends on what you are loading for......what kind of bullets, etc. Some people don't mind 3-4 inches at 25 if their guns acts "right" and they are Shooting steel whereas a Bullseye Shooter wants an inch.....

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

Of course and that's why I ask.

Rested on a bench from 25yds:

string5Glk_zps663cb401.png

Definitely good enough for GSSF.......if I can do my part!

Thanks for posting, I'll post my groups SOON, my powders suppose to get here today.

powder_zps7f569c05.jpg

Edited by phidelt208

Specific Results for my post above:

G17G4, 3.9g CFE Pistol, 147g Zero JHP, 1.120 OAL

Shots: 10

Low: 877

High: 897

Avg: 886

ES: 20

SD: 7

PF: 130.24

Same Pistol/Load w/ Bar-Sto Barrel:

Shots: 10

Low: 839

High: 868

Avg: 853

ES: 29

SD: 8

PF: 125.39

HR

Just got mine this week. I am now looking for a minor load. 124 MG / Win SPP / CFE ?.? grains / OAL ?

If you guys come up with a good load,

Ken, my data:

124gr XTR = Xtreme 124gr Round Nose

124gr CMJRN = Montana Gold 124gr RN CMJ

124gr TMJ = Speer 124gr TMJ

post-19323-0-32066600-1403663468_thumb.j

Edited by extremist

This has been a good info thread. I'm taking a week off and will try to get my chrono out..I'm getting close to an inch and a halve with MG HP 115 in Baer Bullseye gun off the bench. I'll post the lad data hopefully before week is out....

Wow... Extremist's little thumbnail chart seemed to show quite a variation of ES and SD figures using the bullet types he tried in his guns. Perhaps this is what we can expect depending on bullet choice, but it seems more various than one would usually anticipate.

Edited by Justsomeguy