Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Recoil Reducer

Scott G

I put the mercury recoil reducer into the stock of my M1S90 Field with 21" barrel. It takes a little bit of the aftershock out with hot loads like buckshot or slugs. With the 1 1/8 or 1oz #8 birdshot I use for IPSC type stuff I didn't notice that great a difference, although there is some.

The only downside of putting one in is that it makes the gun a little "butt heavy". By that I mean that when you flip it over to load on the move it's a bit awkward to hold cause the buttstock wants to sink so you'll have to compensate for it. In other words, the Benelli balances like a dream without one but with the added weight at the back it's a tad "butt heavy" Hope this helps.

Mickster,

Do you have a synthetic or wood stock?  I have a M1 Practical w/synthetic, which is super light, and a little muzzle heavy.  I'm wondering if the balance might actually improve with more weight in the stock.

Scott

Scott

I have the non-pistolgrip synthetic stock which I think uses the longer mercury recoil reducer than the wood stock version.

The recucer is a Benelli part and has not affected reliability at all with over 1000 rounds so far.

Just FYI, the Benelli is weight sensitive. That means the more weight you put on the gun the more chance it has to malfunction. I experimented for years with the benelli and finally canned it. The gun will not shoot fast splits with a 10 round extension tube. The tactical guns  with 7 rounds work great, but fail with the large tubes. I tried to shoot reduced federal tactical slugs, but always had malfunctions. Don't get me wrong the gun will fire with a 15 shot tube, just not fast. Anything under a .20 split and the hammer follows the bolt down.

rkgsmith,

Hmmm maybe you should get your gun fixed, I shoot .15-.17 split all day long with mine and no hammer follow, even got a couple .12's in there also. It is weight sensitive though, it mine works fine with a siddesaddle, but I tried putting some extra rounds on the forestock and it didn't like that. I am thinking about the recoil reducer also, so if you try it and like it with the pistol grip stock, let me know.

ScottG

Have two M1's Mercury in both Haven't shot  the practical much yet, but my field that I use for clays is working fine. Mercury definitely takes a little hit out, it isn't a recoil eliminator by any stretch of the imagination, but it helps some.

RD

• 2 years later...

Will the recoil reducer fit in a pistol grip Benelli M1 Super 90? Do you need special tools to install it?

By the way, has anyone else used the recoil reducer and gotten positive results with it?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 years later...

Another method is the ziplock bag and lead shot recoil reducer.

Take a ziplock bag and add shot, remove buttplate, insert in hole, replace buttplate. Add weight until you find the recoil reduction you need. When you find the right weight, duct tape entire ziplock bag and stick in butt stock.

Cheap and easy.

Dave

Wow, it's been 7 1/2 years since I put the mercury recoil reducer in my M1. Still shooting it, many, many thousands of rounds later, and the mercury still hasn't leaked or spilled out. Back in '03, I ordered the part from Brownells but if they still carry it I don't know. May want to contact Benelli USA directly.

I've changed my reloading technique since then so I no longer notice the heaviness in the buttstock. What I do notice is softer recoil with slugs, buck and heavy shot loads compared to a non-mercury M1 or M2. That lightweight birdshot we use for matches feels about the same as it does with no mercury.

I think the whole "birdshot in a bag" trick won't work. It's the same as adding a sidesaddle, or 16 shot extension tube, dead weight or whatever. The mercury is not filled to the top in its container, ie: it sloshes to the front during recoil, thus allowing the M1 to have it's moment of free motion in order to cycle the action before the weight kicks in to reduce rearward motion of the firearm.

Durk Muiller, I'm not an engineer or physicist so could you chime in and let me know if I got that right? :rolleyes:

There is an old recoil reducer called the "dead mule" or something close to that. It looks like the in the stock mercury units but has a sliding weight with springs on both sides inside it. Works really well and should be perfect for the inertia operating guns because of the delay like the mercury ones have. Also a good recoil pad can make a huge difference, Sims labratory makes some that work.

• 2 years later...

I'm 5' nuthin and 150 lbs (I know, I'm fat) and my M2 doesn't hurt me. BUT, I've shortened the stock beyond what you can get with the thin factory pad, added cast to get it over to the right a bit and found the right drop for me. I also don't shoot full power slugs and buck but I could shoot that gun all day and never get a bruise. It was built by Benny Hill and has the lightened bolt and all his tricks. I shoot 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 oz loads with the factory action or recoil spring with no problems. Benny advised me not to use the lighter Wolff spring. Guns are all different, what works in mine might not work in yours, or vicea reversa.