Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is wrong with this picture?

Flexmoney

OK... ran this by somebody higher up on the food-chain than me.

You guys have probably seen this setup before...the Windmill with the Steel No-Shoots guarding it.

I think there is something about this that makes it...less than legal.

Can you figure it out (It took 1.5 years for it to dawn on me.)

post-27-1104991474_thumb.gif

Well, if green book rules apply and the penalty targets were paper, 2.1.8.4 says that they (the static penalty targets) cannot be greater than 90 degrees from the vertical, but I don't think that includes steel targets, and wasn't in effect for USPSA 18 months ago.

There isn't a nonscoring border on the Steel though. I suppose you could argue that an extreme edge hit on the steel, which should be scored as a penalty, could easily get missed if the edges of the steel weren't painted.

Not looking at the rules, but...

When this array finally comes to rest, it will not always come to rest in the same place, whereas a Drop-out, Out and back, swinger, Clamshell, Drop-turner or other similar type does. This presents a different ultimate challange.

Jim

If this target array is motor driven and activated by a door/switch/button/window/pressure plate/whatever the consistency will be the same for all and be OK if it doesn't stop (non-disappearing target).

What were you thinking of Flex?

If you look at section 4.3 in the 14th Edition or in the January 2004 edition of the rules you will not find a metal metric listed under "IPSC Approved Handgun Targets - Metal." Making the metal metric a no shoot makes it a scoring target. This is not allowed.

If you look at section 4.3 in the 14th Edition or in the January 2004 edition of the rules you will not find a metal metric listed under "IPSC Approved Handgun Targets - Metal." Making the metal metric a no shoot makes it a scoring target. This is not allowed.

No kidding. So place a paper on its surface, if you so concerned.

If you look at section 4.3 in the 14th Edition or in the January 2004 edition of the rules you will not find a metal metric listed under "IPSC Approved Handgun Targets - Metal."  Making the metal metric a no shoot makes it a scoring target.  This is not allowed.

There it is. We have a winner.

IPSC/USPSA has 8 legal targets. We don't have any metal targets that look like paper no-shoots.

Poppers

post-27-1105059269_thumb.jpg

What if the MD were to claim they were instead actually a whole stack of non-falling IPSC NS plates placed carefully edge-to-edge then welded into place?

It would warm Jim -n- Jerry's hearts too, cause they could charge 2 NS per 15 cm area..

Did the steel earn no shoot penalties? I assumed from your first post they were hard cover since they were steel and 1. there is no legal steel metric target and 2. steel must fall to score and these did not look like they fell, hence legal hard cover.

What if the MD were to claim they were instead actually a whole stack of non-falling IPSC NS plates placed carefully edge-to-edge then welded into place?

LOL...I'd get out my shovel. :lol:

I think the only answer is to stick paper on them (just the top NS, the bottom can't be upside-down with the new rule book...as kevin c pointed out).

Or...paint them, and make them hard-cover.

?

Did the steel earn no shoot penalties?  I assumed from your first post they were hard cover since they were steel and 1. there is no legal steel metric target and 2. steel must fall to score and these did not look like they fell, hence legal hard cover.

Dale,

- The big X on them shows, visually, that they are NS's. And, I did state that in the first post (Pretty sneaky stuff :))

- Steel Penalty targets aren't require to fall.

This was a tough one.

Flex, 

We use a steel target to protect the pulley system for the windmill at our club but its considered hard cover.

John,

It is either one of the other, right? Depending on how you use it?

It sounds like you use it as hard cover.

The thing I was really hoping to point out here is that we have 8 "official" types of targets at our disposal.

(Sam...when I count to three...I will snap my fingers...you won't remember anything that has been said here...but every time you see and antelope, you will point it out to those around you and state that you "prefer sheep".)