Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the problem with "compressed loads"?

kneelingatlas

There seems to be a group of Open shooters very concerned with "compressed loads" and another which is not. Over the last two years I have done extensive load testing and have not had a single issue filling the case close to the rim with slow powder and pushing it down with the seated bullet. I started loading 9 Major with CCI SRP for fear of high pressures, but I saw so little flattening I stopped stocking two sets of primers and have gone to Federal SPP for everything.

I pick up lots of brass at matches and see plenty with flatter primers than mine (even .40 cases...). So does anyone have a good reason not to compress powder (if you're loading 9 Major I don't think it's a question of "if" but "how much")?

I have loaded as much as 10gr of SP2 in a 9x19 case with no ill effects or scary flat primers although it's pretty close to the rim :goof:

I think that increasing powder into a case is sort of linear in terms

of pressure/velocity, usually.

But, once you compress the powder, it's no longer linear - the

pressure/velocity can spike - dangerously if not careful.

Esp when you start getting close to compressed loads, you have

to use a chrono and work up Very Slowly (more slowly than

without a compressed load).

Not forbidden - just a little more dangerous for the uninformed

than a load that is not compressed.

I used a compressed load of HS6 and 115 gr bullet for years,

and had no problem, but I didn't like (personally) filling the

case so high and having so little room for the bullet to hang

onto the case.

At least, that's My understanding - perhaps some ballistic experts

will give us the correct answer, soon. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

The only issue I ever had with compressed loads in my 9MAJOR loads was that with certain cases, over time, the oal would grow. Now, I don't recall if I had switched to the Udie yet but I'm pretty sure I had so if a compressed charge could push a bullet out of an undersized case that impressed me! The thing that concerned me most was loading so long that a very small amout of growth could cause problems in the mag or chambering.

It seems to be very different from powder to powder. In my testing 3n38, and 4756 don't seem to mind being compressed, I fact to make major in 38 super with 4756 it has to be compressed. With long shot in 9major I had a issue where even when adding powder the velocity didn't increase and the velocity started to drop when I added some more so I just assumed that the powder didn't like to be compressed.

There are quite a few 9 major powders that aren't compressed using normal lengths for 9 major. Autocomp, HS6, and silhouette come to mind.

Edited by DRichardson

I ran 7.3gr of Autocomp under a 125gr MG JHP thru my steel master (8lb & FLGR) at 1.090" COAL, was having problems with the nose of the bullet bumping the slide lock lever, so I backed it down to 1.050" COAL.

At 1.090" there were no signs of overpressure. At 1.050" I had blown out primers and the brass Tulaammo marked cases blew out the bottom behind the feed ramp...

I ran 7.3gr of Autocomp under a 125gr MG JHP thru my steel master (8lb & FLGR) at 1.090" COAL, was having problems with the nose of the bullet bumping the slide lock lever, so I backed it down to 1.050" COAL.

At 1.090" there were no signs of overpressure. At 1.050" I had blown out primers and the brass Tulaammo marked cases blew out the bottom behind the feed ramp...

That is really short for a 9 major load

I have never had any problems with compressed loads. Although I don't have many pistol loads that are compressed, many of my best rifle loads are compressed.

I have only read about dangers of very small powder charges in "large" cases causing a detonation in that the primer starts a flame front at the reandorpneumatics the case and jumps over the rest of the powder layong at the bottom of the case and starting another one at the front of the case and the two collide causing a very high pressure. Like your engine "knocking" by an ignition from compression and another from the spark plug. Never had that happen in a fire arm though...

Edited by jmorris

There are quite a few 9 major powders that aren't compressed using normal lengths for 9 major. Autocomp, HS6, and silhouette come to mind.

What's a "normal length"? 1.125"? or 1.2"?

My HS6 loads with 115s are most definitely compressed.

Only problem I've had with compressed loads was losing velocity when I added more powder. Haven't had that problem with my 38 Super open guns though, even when using N105.

I too have seen this effect, but I don't think of it as dangerous, just the point at which there isn't enought oxygen in the case to get a complete burn. 10gr of SP2 gave me lower velocities than 9.5gr, but neither flattened the primers.

Only problem I've had with compressed loads was losing velocity when I added more powder. Haven't had that problem with my 38 Super open guns though, even when using N105.

I too have seen this effect, but I don't think of it as dangerous, just the point at which there isn't enought oxygen in the case to get a complete burn. 10gr of SP2 gave me lower velocities than 9.5gr, but neither flattened the primers.

Gunpowder does not rely on atmospheric oxygen for combustion. It is a fuel that contains an oxidizer. Decreasing velocities with increasing loads has nothing to do with inadequate oxygen in the case for a complete burn.

What's a "normal length"? 1.125"? or 1.2"?

Depends on the gun but for a glock 1.155 is common and for an sti 1.16-1.17 is common. The shortest I have seen even for a glock is 1.145

There are quite a few 9 major powders that aren't compressed

What's a "normal length"?

Depends on the gun but for a glock 1.155 is common and for an sti 1.16-1.17 is common. The shortest I have seen even for a glock is 1.145

+1. At least 1.145 - usually 1.16 - 1.17". :cheers:

Gunpowder does not rely on atmospheric oxygen for combustion. It is a fuel that contains an oxidizer. Decreasing velocities with increasing loads has nothing to do with inadequate oxygen in the case for a complete burn.

I did not know that, thanks Peter.

I did not know that, thanks Peter.

Thank you for all your posts on EAAs! Got me interested in a Hunter .45 that I picked up a while back. Now if I could just find a bolt on magwell and aluminum grips at reasonable prices I would be in heaven.

It seems to be very different from powder to powder. In my testing 3n38, and 4756 don't seem to mind being compressed, I fact to make major in 38 super with 4756 it has to be compressed. With long shot in 9major I had a issue where even when adding powder the velocity didn't increase and the velocity started to drop when I added some more so I just assumed that the powder didn't like to be compressed.

Longshot is a slow powder. If you increased your barrel length your velocity would increase. As it is all of the excess powder is burning up after the bullet has already left the barrel so the velocity cannot increase.