Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 650

audioshooter

I own one. I have seen a lot f New reloaders want to get it because it looks easier. I help a buddy out at his reloading shop when customers are debating between the 550 and 650, and tend to steer more towards the 550 because it is easier to operate due to the manual index Nd case feed. So my question is, for those of you that own a 650 do you load everything you shoot on it? I am not referring to precision rifle but plunking loads. I added a poll, to have something to show people.

I only have a 650 since I sold off the 550 to get it.

As far as your advice to new loaders, make sure to throw in the part about the 550 being the culprit in a lot of squibs and double charges. The fully progressive feature of the 650 makes it a much safer press than the manual indexing 550.

I have all of them, load pistol on the SD, rifle and pistol with 550, 650 and 1050.

Some of the things I shoot are not loaded on any of the above though because they are not the right tool for some jobs.

If there was one "perfect" press none of the others would exist.

New to loading and the 650 is the only press I have. They are not difficult to learn and I agree that they are marginally safer for a new loader. As long as you watch the powder level in the case it's really tough to have an issue.

I just got the 650. I am brand new to reloading. It really wasn't too difficult to setup after reading the step by step directions and watching the dillon dvd. The main reason that I wanted it was for the auto indexing which I believe would reduce the likelihood of squibs and doubles.

single stage here and added dual 650's.....

They are not as beastly as you would think, sure some learning curve but well worth it... Small and large primer was the key that sold me.... Plus having a machine for 45 and 9mm at the same time is awesome, with the flexibility of switching to load rifle is a big plus...

Precision on the single stage, bulk on the twins....

Cost is the only reason I see to choose the 550 over the 650.

You can swap from 458 socom to .22-250 or .460 rowland in 20 seconds on a 550. More stuff to change on a 650. For me the 550 fills the gap between a turret press and the 650.

I don't find even changing from 9mm small primer to 45acp large primer to be a big deal on the 650. And the difference between doing it on a 550 vs 650 is only 3 or 4 parts in the case feeding area.

I feel the same way. I've switched out from 380 to 45 and it's not all that bad in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I run the high volume stuff on the 650 like 9, 40, and 45. I use my 550 for rifle and when working up new loads. Also most of my wheel gun ammo gets loaded on the 550.

This WAS my plan also till one day I looked over and realized that I hadn't taken the cover off my 550 in about 2 years, and have acquired all the tool heads I needed for the 650.

SO, I sold my 550 and bought another 650, and reloading life is good!

I have all sorts of calipers, digital are easy to read and ideal for measuring +\- from a given set point (like zeroing @ x.xxx" then checking many parts for over/under).

Dials never have a dead battery and work fine too.

650 for pistol (9, 38 and could do 357 just never set it up yet).

Got a lee single stage for rifle (30-06, soon will do 30-30). Rifle seems a lot more case-prep-intensive (well, using once fired mil brass and extruded powder)

I prefer digital..but I can measure anything 3 times and get 4 wrong measurements...it's my one and only fault (and no, you can't talk to my wife)

I started wtih a balance beam scale..that was bad. Loaded several thousand rounds of pistol way hot (ever shoot a 9mm at 1500fps? I have..over 2000 rounds too. LOVE MY XDm!).

I got an inexpensive digital from midway (read reviews) and have since added an automated powder dispenser w/ scale and gotten a better balance beam and check weights. All seem to be in agreement with eachother all the time...

Edited by proffate

Started with a 550b, six months later I was considering purchasing a 650 or 1050 to dedicate to 9mm, with possibly adding one or two calibers down the road.

Ended up with a s1050 and have zero regrets, most of my lower volume ammo is done on my 550b, but I'm seriously considering adding a caliber every six months to the s1050, with .223/300aac in the near future. After running both a 650 and 1050, I may just end up getting another s1050.

~g