Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate Reliability

FTP_Shooting_Sports

I just wanted to get some feedback on CZ Czechmate reliability? I have one and the barrel cracked at a low round count (approx. 10K). I a friend of mine also has one and experienced the same issue. There is not a lot of information about these pistols as the number sold is very small compared to other guns. I heard that early versions suffered from barrel issues which is why CZ supplied multiples from the factory. Later versions (like mine) did not come with the extra barrels. Parts are very hard to get for them and many have to come from CZ Czech directly.

The gun itself has one of the best factory triggers out there and shoots wonderfully. However I am beginning to have my doubts about sticking to this platform for competition given the track records I have seen.

What have other people experienced?

Mine actually cracked where the slidestop goes through the barrel but my friend's cracked at the barrel lugs which is something I have seen reported a few times on the internet.

The TS barrel is not the same. The Czechmate barrel is longer and threaded.

The barrels and supporting hardware are not typically available in North America so it is a long wait to get stuff from CZ Czech.

hmm, I had heard about older ones having a problem with lugs too, but afaik the current czechmates do still come with 3 barrels. a mate got one very recently and his came with the 3 barrels (all have the same serial number but with -1, -2, -3 after it) as well as the brlank compensator for the limited set-up and the comp for the open set-up.

Perhaps an email to CZ UB to find out if yours should have come with 3 barrels or not?

hmm, I had heard about older ones having a problem with lugs too, but afaik the current czechmates do still come with 3 barrels. a mate got one very recently and his came with the 3 barrels (all have the same serial number but with -1, -2, -3 after it)

Mine was a little newer and only came with 2 barrels. I saw 2 kits this way. And when I bought last year, I'm pretty sure the CZ-USA online description said two barrels - I was checking because I had two, but initial reviews/shipments had three. Now the description removes the reference to the extra barrel.

You can see older description at place like kygunco (http://www.kygunco.com/cz-75-ts-czechmate-9mm-pistol-20-round-54-barrel-black-43718), but anything current seems to have removed the barrel reference.

Does this have to do with them not being built to run 165 PF? I think I remember reading a disclaimer about that.

This doesn't say that, I read this the opposite that unlike most 9mm, this can run 9 Major - minimum means 160 or more, no?

"When configured with the compensator, the CZ 75 TS Czechmate model is designed to use ammunition that meets the minimum requirements for IPSC major power factor. The minimum power factor for major in IPSC open class competition is 160. Power factor is calculated by the following formula:

Power Factor = (bullet weight (in grains) X muzzle velocity (in feet per second))/1000

IPSC minimum power factor for major is 160.

USPSA minimum power factor for major is 165."

Edited by trgt

Does this have to do with them not being built to run 165 PF? I think I remember reading a disclaimer about that.

This doesn't say that, I read this the opposite that unlike most 9mm, this can run 9 Major - minimum means 160 or more, no?

"When configured with the compensator, the CZ 75 TS Czechmate model is designed to use ammunition that meets the minimum requirements for IPSC major power factor. The minimum power factor for major in IPSC open class competition is 160. Power factor is calculated by the following formula:

Power Factor = (bullet weight (in grains) X muzzle velocity (in feet per second))/1000

IPSC minimum power factor for major is 160.

USPSA minimum power factor for major is 165."

Thanks. I interpreted that incorrectly.

That sucks. Given that 2 extra barrels now costs $500 and you used to get the 2 extras for free. certainly makes it seem not as good value as it once did. having 3 barrels was nice piece of mind. I know my mate uses one as a match barrel that only shoots CMJ/FMJ, one as a practice barrel which he shoots hi-tek coated lead (cheaper here in aus) and one as a spare.

The barrels and supporting hardware are not typically available in North America so it is a long wait to get stuff from CZ Czech.

First off, the TS barrel and the Czechmate barrel are exactly the same length (I have them both in front of me right now), the only difference being the CM barrel is treaded M14x0.75 so if you need a replacement barrel you can easily get a TS barrel from CZ USA for $145 and the die off EBay for $6 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14mm-14-x-0-75-Metric-Right-Hand-Die-thread-M14-x-0-75mm-Pitch-/180985957720) or pay a gunsmith to thread it for you. CZ USA also had some CM barrels recently, but I don't remember the price. The also have the comps and some other parts.

First off, the TS barrel and the Czechmate barrel are exactly the same length (I have them both in front of me right now), the only difference being the CM barrel is treaded M14x0.75 so if you need a replacement barrel you can easily get a TS barrel from CZ USA for $145 and the die off EBay for $6 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14mm-14-x-0-75-Metric-Right-Hand-Die-thread-M14-x-0-75mm-Pitch-/180985957720) or pay a gunsmith to thread it for you. CZ USA also had some CM barrels recently, but I don't remember the price. The also have the comps and some other parts.

Thanks. I never measured but assumed they were different lengths. However, do you think the 9mm open gun barrel would be any different in the chamber area since 9 major is must more potent than 9 minor?

• 4 weeks later...

there was a cheap one on gunbroker the other day. had the 3 barrels too. :) might be still there.

Found one :)

Good deal! New ones definitely have no extra barrels now.

yep, you are right trgt, the one my friend got was old stock. word is new ones do only come with 1 barrel like you said but they have apparently dropped the price a little (at least in my country). still I'm not sure the price drop is = to 2 more barrels....