Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide serrations

infinity

hi guys! i'd like to ask something about the slide serrations on a caspian slide. i was planning on buying a caspian slide and erasing the serrations and replace it on the same spot with a different serrations, now my question is would there be any disadvantage or anything bad (to the slide) that would result in doing that? all i know is that the slide would lighten a little and that's all i know. any info would be of much help!! thanks guys!!!

infinity B)

You can buy a caspian what they call bald & bare. No serrations, no sight cuts, and now without the stirrup cut.

I always prefer to cut my own serrations. I find it easier than cleaning up someone else's machine marks. (that is not directed at any one company)

Dan

hi guys, thanks. here in the philippines we only have caspian slides with rear serrations, and s_i slides r so expensive here. if u put in $$ it'll fall around $380 per slide without any cuts or serrations. caspian is a little cheaper but with serrations.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were outside the US.

There wouldn't be enough metal left to do much of a serration at all. About the only thing you could do would be to remove the serrations and make it look like a panel cut (although it would be a pretty large panel cut), the serrate the portion behind the panel. Similar to this.

page2f_150_150.jpg

But like I said with a larger panel cut.

I don't know how exporting slides work but you may want to contact caspian directly. Caspian Arms

Good luck,

Dan

Are slides a controled item on the philippines?

In the US, only the frame is considered the gun. So, frames must go thru a dealer (to comply with the law).

Other parts are free to ship/transfer...just as if they were hunk of metal.

Are slides a controled item on the philippines?

In the US, only the frame is considered the gun. So, frames must go thru a dealer (to comply with the law).

Other parts are free to ship/transfer...just as if they were hunk of metal.

yes they are controlled but you can get away with it by declaring it as something like steel table feet or something like that.

then again if it fails they confiscate the item :(

Infinity, you can remove the serrations without a problem but dont go deeper, not a strenth issue back there but if you go deeper you cut into the extractor tunnel and looks like sh#t. Look at the gun in the gallery under Bennys Blaster for this year. Cut short serrations from the top of the slide to just above the extractor tunnel full length of the panel you created by removeing the original serrations. Looks cool and gives enough grip.------Larry

If i were desperate for different serrations and a new slide was out of the question, the first thing I would look at is whether I could modify the existing serrations into something I liked. Take every other line out, widen the cuts, put in cross cuts, whatever. If not in your situation you could take the slide to a good tig welder , have him weld them up and then recut how you want. Not the easiest thing but doable. Sometimes you have to work with what you have.

It can be done, it takes a welder who knows what he's doing and takes his time. With the proper methods and skills it will work and not ruin the slide. The old gunsmiths used to gas weld two halves of a demilled slide together when parts weren't available. No telling how many Hogue and Clark longslides are still out there with an inch of old slide gas welded to the front end. And then there's Boland who practicaly made guns out of welding rod. Anway it's not my first choice but if I was desperate I'd find a good welder experienced in Tig and let him see what you want.