Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B 9mm?

I've loaded over 5k 9mm without hiccups on my SDB - it's currently set up for 45LPP. The SDB is a great press (inexpensive and doesn't tale up much space). I am considering picking up a 650 (set to small primer) to load 40 and 9mm and leave the SDB set up for 45 and large primer

• 1 month later...

DWR461

My primer failure rate is 2-3 per hundred. Can you expand your comments on how you improved your rate? I just installed a new primer feed sent to my by Dillon. It did help, but I'm still getting a flipped or sideways on occasion.

Love my SDB. With preloaded primer tubes, i can do 450 rounds/hr easily and up to 600 if I push it. I case roll my brass so the fact that non proprietary dies are a no-go is not an issue.

But I may start reloading rifle at some point, the the SDB simply won't do that.

For a significantly higher production rate (which I think means not only paying extra for a 650 by itself, but substantially more moolah for a case and or bullet feeder), for anything needing aftermarket dies, and for rifle, the SDB is not the press to get.

DWR461

My primer failure rate is 2-3 per hundred. Can you expand your comments on how you improved your rate? I just installed a new primer feed sent to my by Dillon. It did help, but I'm still getting a flipped or sideways on occasion.

If you're still getting flipped or upside down primers after making that mount solid. Then the next problem could be the timing. The primer cup could be hitting the underside of the shell holder just enough to flip the primers. Ask me how I know..... :)

Anyway the cure for me wasn't adjusting the little timing screw on the side of the ram. Take the primer slide assembly out of the press. Dillon lists a primer punch rod 13967 height that is wrong. The technician didn't say it was wrong but he said to make the rod much shorter until it doesn't hit the under side of the shell holder.

You accomplish this by loosening the primer punch set screw 13823, but be careful if you loosen it too much the primer punch rod will fly off. Now compress the primer punch rod in either a c clamp or vice and it is bottomed out in the primer slide assembly. Then retighten the primer punch set screw too hold the rod at its lowest setting. On my press this was much lower than the Dillon listed specification but it stopped the primer feed problems. The technician at Dillon told me not to get hung up on that number because who cares as long as it works.

Even with the solid mount last month I started to suddenly experience a lot of the failures you describe. At a rate higher than 10 per 100 so it was a real problem. I think that the primer punch set screw had come loose and the primer punch rod had slide out to its maximum length. When I retightened it, I used the length listed in the Dillon SDB manual. It was much too long.

I hope this helps you.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO, the SDB makes sense for someone just getting started and only planning to load supported pistol calibers.

Since you're already loading on a Lee, you have dies you can't use on the SDB. I'd look at the 550 or 650 with the idea being that once you get used to using the faster Dillon, you may change your mind about loading anything on the Lee...and this way you can transfer all your dies to the Dillon.

• 3 years later...

Just bought the SDB and piecemealed a complete kit together for under $900 inc tax and shipping.  Looking forward to loading on it.  Bought a range of Vihtavuori powders N320, N330 and N340 and loading Campro 147gr RNFP bullets for my Shadow 2.  Was going to buy a Lee Pro 1000 initially but after reading a lot of posts on this site, I sent the extra dollars.  ****Passed my Black Badge course this weekend, hence...a SDB was in my future.**** ?

Edited by MsDV8

I presume that's $900 Canadian  ?

The SDB is about $420 US plus another $100 or $200 and you have a complete

reloading machinge.

Does Not include, of course the components (powder, primers and bullets).

Good luck with it - it's a Great Machine   :)